Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benneh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
hey all,

i'm about to jump on the bandwagon of ipods!
nothing negative, not bagging that ipod trends are bad.
i want to get it based on the fact that its simple. It plays my music, i want nothing more! Agree? :)

Anyway, so i'm eyeing on the 30gb, since the maximum nano of 8gb is just way to low in capacity, and this is going to last me years.
My question is, how well do the refurbished ipods come out? Do Apple give it a good clean and thorough test before they sell it?
I don't mind the few odd scratch here and there, but as long as it doesn't 'die' months after i get it (i.e. Weak battery, or hard drive failure or seomthing).

Anyone had bought refurbished ipods (or mac products)? Would i be better off buying it brand new and fresh? Refurbished would save me 20% off rrp! Any suggestions would be grateful!

Thnx!

benneh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Do a search of the forums for refurbs. You'll find a lot of happy customers including me. I've bought a 1G Nano and a Power Mac G5.

Cool thanks for that idea!
Seems many are quite happy with their purchases, and think i might head the same path

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Apple said:
Apple Certified Refurbished Products

Frequently Asked Questions:

(1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. These products have been returned under Apple's Return and Refund Policies or have been used as Demonstration units. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

They are in 100% working condition, and are then sold as refurbished product. As these refurbished products have been unpacked and manipulated, they might however exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks or discolorations.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:
is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, etc.).
includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
is repacked in special packaging (including appropriate manuals, cables, etc. that originally shipped with the unit).
Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?
Substantial savings
A fully functional unit with complete documentation
The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

(3) Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for my Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

All Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by by a one-year limited warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished Product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple Certified Refurbished Product to up to three years of world-class support.

For your convenience, we have placed the appropriate AppleCare Protection Plan at the bottom of each product collection on the Apple Certified Refurbished products page.
Close this window

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.