Refurbished Late 2011 15" MBP vs High End 2012 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zwikker, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Zwikker, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

Okay, which one is better when it comes to performance? A high end 13" or this late 2011 refurbished 15" ?
    Is it a good idea to go with a 2011 15" model instead of a 13"?

Here's the late 2011 15" MBP I'm thinking about purchasing http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD318LL/A

Another question is that is it possible to upgrade it's ram, HDD to a 256GB SDD and it's graphics card to a newer one in the future?
    Since this is a refurbished computer, what are the negatives of buying a refurbished item from apple? Is it gonna have any scratch or anything on it? I have never bought a refurbished item before, this is why I'm asking those questions.
    *I'm a third year Industrial Engineering major and will need my computer in this field.

Thanks guys.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The late 2011 model should vastly outperform the 2012 13". It has quad vs dual core processor and dedicated GPU.

The RAM and HDD are upgradeable, the graphics card is not on any Macbook model.

Apple refurbished items are as good as new. They come with a 1 year warranty and you can buy the extended AppleCare warranty just like a new model.

3. Zwikker thread starter macrumors regular

Zwikker

Oh that's great then.
    Originally released October 2011
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

4. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

I'm looking at getting the late 2011 15" refurb too. I like that it already has plenty of base power and that it is upgradable. My only reluctance is the absence of USB3 so I may hold off until we see the 2012 15" refurbs show up. Any idea on how long before new models (non-retina) make it to the refurb section?

5. Captnroger macrumors regular

Since you're in school you should also consider portability.

Personally I would never buy a refurb, the cost savings just isn't that big of a factor over getting something brand new out of the box never been touched feeling, especially when paying the premium for an Apple product.

6. Zwikker thread starter macrumors regular

Zwikker

To me, usb 3 is not a must have so I'll just go with the late 2011 15"!

7. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

I hear you, but once you purchase a refurb from Apple, you may never go back to buying new. Search the forum on refurbs and you will see that people have a good experience buying refurbs from Apple. You've been around here for a long time so surely you've seen this?

8. Zwikker, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

Zwikker thread starter macrumors regular

Zwikker

9. Zwikker thread starter macrumors regular

Zwikker

I also have a netbook where I can easily carry around. I don't think 15" is that giant of a computer. I can still take it with me wherever.
    That being said I still have question marks about the refurbished macs tho. I hope it won't give me any problem + Apple guarantees that It's as good as new ones.

10. Zwikker thread starter macrumors regular

Zwikker

Wish we could use a student discount on refurbished items tho. It would have been sweet:)

11. npro1464 macrumors member

I'm also considering the same thing. This would be more for a stay at home laptop though. Also considering the 13" MBA. I think I might splurge and get the refurbed 15".

Question: Does Best Buy sell refurbished Macbooks? I have to get my Macbook at Best Buy.

12. Zwikker thread starter macrumors regular

Zwikker

Good question! I am one click away from buying this 15", still doing a last minute research.

13. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

They sell what they call refurbished computers at some stores but mostly on their used computer subsidiary, cowboom.com.

Apple is the only place you get a refurb at full one year warranty. Macmall.com does sell older models new at significant discount with no sales tax to most places.

Enjoy your upgradable 2011 model.

Cheers,

14. npro1464 macrumors member

A little confused. So Best Buy sells a used Macbook Pro while Apple sells refurbed ones? Are Best Buys used Macbooks in poor condition? They won't have any leftover 2011 Macbook Pros there?

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

2011 Individual store stock and online stock is still available. Not sure how quickly they discount the old models.

The used stuff is strictly cowboom and they vary in quality.

Cheers,