Refurbished Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Defapabitch, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Defapabitch macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm planning to buy a Mac Book Pro in the coming month and I was wondering if it's worth buying a refurbished version of the late 2013

Here's a link to the one : http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

First of all my idea was that my friend in America could bring it to me in Europe to pay less (Idc about the keyboard). Will the warranty be available in France? If ever the machine is broken (let's say) and I want to return it , is it possible to do that in France? Or must it be sent back to America?
    If possible could someone tell me about their experience in refurbished Mac book pros? The price is really attractive but i really don't want to ruin my experience with stupid stuff...

BTW the laptop will be used for music production and slight gaming if anybody was wondering.

Thanks in advance

2. Ornstein, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

Ornstein macrumors newbie

From Apple's Hardware Warranties page:
    (https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/)

This means that you are covered by your own country's (France) warranty legislation regardless of what country the Apple product was bought from. I recommend that you check with your local customer rights official. It is my understanding that Apple offers their standard 1-year warranty on refurbished products, which is the same that you get on completely new ones.

Concerning EU legislation on consumer rights, keep in mind that the 'EU warranty' only protects you against product deficits if
    a) the product was purchased in a EU country (link), and
    b) the deficit(s) can be shown to have existed in the product before or at the time of purchase.
    It does not cover deficits that are a result or mishandling the product, or that appear due to normal wear and tear. Such faults are covered by the standard 1-year Apple warranty or the Apple Protection Plan as per Apple's terms of contract, or by national legislation to the extent that it can enforce it.

I suggest that you check Apple's page on EU consumer law here. There are additional links on that page, which should point you to the proper authorities on the warranty matter.

/EDIT:
    As with product deficits, only if you bought it in an EU country. Generally, it is the seller that is responsible for returns/refunds, so in this case you might have to ship it all the way back to the US, unless Apple's warranty terms say otherwise or you manage to convince them of a more rational solution.

3. Defapabitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Um , i'm buying it in USA and bringing it to France, are you telling me that the warranty only applies if the device is broken inside the US? I've read all over the place that it's worlwide warranty? As people travelling must have somewhere to go in case it breaks down? Seems illogical if you couldn't get it repaired in France if you bought it in the US

4. Ornstein macrumors newbie

No, I mean that the EU consumer law only applies if you bought the laptop in the EU. National consumer law is a different thing, I couldn't tell you what the French legislation says since I'm not French.

Apple's warranty says, as I quoted earlier, that Apple's own warranty policies are in addition to the national law. If the law in France states that Apple must provide warranty or repair services for their products in France, you should not (in principle) have difficulties in returning it or having it repaired in the nearest certified Applecare service centre.

5. Defapabitch thread starter macrumors newbie

So i maybe i call call apple in France and pretend i have a malfunctioning refurbished MBP with warranty and see what they say? If they give a straight no etc

6. Ornstein macrumors newbie

Well I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you whether it's possible or not even without the pretending part :)

7. Defapabitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah ofc that was what i meant , ima do that this evening. Can't wait to get my hands on dat computer.

Thanks man