Refurbished Mac Minis (2018 Model)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by cwo, Jul 21, 2019.

1. cwo macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I've been reading all the threads about the Mac Mini 2018 issues happening with flaky wifi, bluetooth not working and the USB ports.

Do the refurbished units from Apple have those issues resolved? I'm hoping as part of the refurbishing process, some of those get fixed up that may have gotten missed by the QC process in the 1st place.

Otherwise, I'm going to hang in there and wait for the next version. It sucks as I had my heart really set on getting one of these for freelance work as the refurbished have great prices for the new models. Currently I have a 2011 Mac Mini still chugging along but the demands of graphic software today are causing it to feel a bit long in the tooth!

Cheers,
    cwo

2. marclondon macrumors 6502

Nothing wrong with any of those on my 2018 Mini. The only issue I've run into is the the monitor on the HDMI port doesn't get a signal from boot, but easily fixed by replugging.

There won't be any differences with refurb models.

3. Ybersetzer macrumors newbie

I read up on this too before getting my Mac Mini (2018, i5): seems those who experienced issues only experienced them in connection with being on a 2,4 Ghz wifi and/or some specific USB-3-dongles. Switching to 5Ghz wifi and no/better dongles fixed the problems.

Personally, I have zero issues with either wifi or bluetooth. In fact I get a better bluetooth signal from my Mac Mini than from my Macbook Air 2015 (sitting in the same place on my desk, respectively). Very happy with the Mac Mini - thumbs up!

4. iluvmacs99 macrumors regular

Part of the issues with bluetooth is the new bluetooth implementation that is in the Mini 2018 that are less compatible with legacy Apple bluetooth products. The newer Apple bluetooth keyboards, mice and trackpads have more recent bluetooth implementation and has better bluetooth compatibility. It just mean that you may have to upgrade your current wireless keyboard and or mice that works well with your 2011 mini and may not reliably work with the 2018 mini.

The second issue revolves with, again legacy compatibility with older WIFI standards that drops connection often. Most people who own more recent WIFI routers or routers supplied by their broadband providers will have little compatibility issue with the Mini 2018. Whereas older legacy standards may pose some challenging connectivity issues.

Suffice to say; if you are upgrading to the new Mini 2018, mostly likely you will need to upgrade most of everything you have now that works with the 2011 Mini, but may have compatibility issues with the new mini.

5. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

I own a refurbished Mac mini 2018 and I have none of those problems (WiFi, Bluetooth, USB).

For sure, Apple is using the same components in the refurbished units as those factory new ones rolling off the manufacturing line.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Agree with Erehy above.
    I know of no modifications to the 2018 Mini hardware since it was released.
    No "revisions" that I've heard of.

If anyone knows differently, please come in.

7. BuddyRich macrumors member

BuddyRich

I bought a 2018 refurb i5 model and have bluetooth issues with certain usb devices attached.

if i attach my lexar usb 3 sd card reader to a usb a port with wired apple keyboard plugged in my bluetooth mouse (logi m720 triatholon ) will stutter and unlock with apple watch will not work)

Similar issue if i plug in a usb 3.1 samsung ssd t5 drive.

some people have luck using better shielded usb extension cables but this mac is definitely more sensitive to interference as these devices never caused an issue before.

That said no wifi issues just bluetooth and only with certain devices plugged in.

8. smetvid macrumors 6502

I also have a perfectly working 2018 refurbished Mac Mini. Absolutely love this thing.

9. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

My 2018 Mini has been flawless, as was my 2012, 2010 and 2009. which all still work fine albeit a little pokey.

10. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Refurbished Mac mini 2018.
    See bluetooth issues (audio cutting out, Magic Trackpad disconnecting without warning), wifi issues and worst of all, Bridge OS crashes because of which I have lost my work on one occasion.

I guess I should be grateful that there is no keyboard on it. I strongly recommend you wait or get the 2015 MacBook Pro at a good price. I think that is the last quad core machine that seems to suffer from "only" a display stain issue that I k now off.