Refurbished Mac Mini's available (US Store)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gunga Din, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I've never seen Mac Mini's available in the refurbished area. Could this mean an imminent release?

Either way, they are there for a discount if anyone is happy with the older specs. Just wanted to let people know.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No? There are refurbished unibody MacBooks there. Does that mean an imminent MacBook release?

Ugh. Those refurb prices are STILL higher than what they should be NEW for the tech Apple is hawking...

3. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I agree. Throw people a bone, mb $200 off at least.

4. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The available inventory of refurb Macs changes constantly. Presence or absence of any particular model is no indication of a new release.

7. Benchmob31 macrumors member

Benchmob31

I got lucky last week and was able to purchase a 1.83 Referbished Mac mini. It is suppose to arrive tomorrow. I also qualified for iLife 09' for $9.99 since I purchased my Mac mini the day after iLife 09' was released. I saved $100 of retail price for a pretty much brand new computer. I will have an Unboxing video on Youtube around Friday if anyone wants to see what you get from the referb dept. Youtube name is the same as here.

8. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

i've bought 2-3 refurb mac minis over the past 2 yrs. they pop up now and then sometimes at great prices

9. Benchmob31 macrumors member

Benchmob31

Apple is going to do whatever they want...... Because they can!

10. techie4life macrumors 6502

They've got the 1.83GHz Mac minis in stock refurb at the moment. I don't know how long that will last, but they are listed at $499.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And that works incredibly well from a business standpoint. Apple is probably the only company that can get away with it in EVERYTHING they sell, but there are other companies that can do it with a few of their products.

Take HP. Or, rather, take HP ink. For printers.

In fact, take ink for ANY brand of printer. I remember an article... a gallon, a straight gallon of printer ink costs, on average, $16,000.

And we will pay it, because we need to print things. The world of toner (lasers) isn't much different.

12. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

For my printer, it costs ~£60-80 for my ink.. for that I could just buy a whole new printer considering mine is now about 4 years old

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

The model is slowly beginning to change, though, because the printers themselves keep getting cheaper. The last few printers I have purchased (inkjet, black and white laser, and color laser) all cost less to buy than the cost of completely replacing the consumables. (For example, my inkjet all-in-one scanner/copier/printer only cost me $20 on sale, but it would be $50-60 to replace the ink. My Samsung color laser printer cost me $150, but to replace its four toners would cost $180.)

Customers are beginning to clue in that it is cheaper to throw away the old printer and buy a new one, rather than pay inflated prices for replacement cartridges. Not only does this not allow the company to make their huge profits on ink, but it's terribly wasteful and bad for the environment.

I think the companies are clueing in, as I've noticed that there are new lines of inkjets with "50% cheaper ink cartridges!" and the prices of toners are dropping as well.

What this means for Apple is that if PC prices continue to fall as companies find ways to build ever-cheaper PCs, Apple will be forced to play too. Nobody is going to buy a $600 Mac Mini if a basic PC costs, say, $149.