Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khirok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Is there any way to see what the model numbers are on the refurbished Macs in the Apple Store?

For instance I am wanting to see if the 2.66 GHz MBPs are the new ones with the built in battery or the original unibody ones.

iphonesrq

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Tampa
you need to call apple to make sure, since it does not specify the model #. the new mbp's (7hr battery) are going for $1999 this one is $1699 so it might be the newest model. this is 15% off so i would say the is the new model, but call them & let us know.

800-my-apple

khirok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Just talked to a gentleman there and he said there really is not an easy way to tell. He told me to look for the SD card slot listed, but after looking on a few I was unable to find it so I think at this time we just have to call them and find out and order over the phone.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
They are most likely the older ones. A newly intro'd machine will usually take about 3 months to show up in refurb.

One easy way to tell is look a the L2 cache. The older one (removable battery) has 6Mb, the new one (fixed battery) has 3.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Yes, you can do this.

You need to put the item in question into your shopping cart, then open your cart and look at the item.

Under the shipping time it lists a part number, which is the model number that's been modified to reflect that it's a refurb. Though the first couple of characters have been changed, Apple maintains the last four or five (depends on the kind of product) to be able to identify the product.

I just checked, and the modified model number for the 2.66 15" MBP in the refurb store does not come close to matching that for the model listed in the main store. The refurb item is not the current generation

khirok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
scienide09:
Thanks I will have to do this when I finally break down and buy it.

macagain:
Actually I bought my current MBP about 3 weeks after this model (late 2007) came out as a "refurb" and it had like 3 cycles on the battery so it was probably a return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.