Refurbished Mac Pro no video

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bmode, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Bmode macrumors regular

Hey all, I have a refurbished Mac Pro that I got from Apple, see below on details, and I powered her up today and I got no video. This has happened before, but after a restart, it usually fires back up, but this time there's no image/video from the Mac Pro. I checked the monitor via my Mac Book Pro, it's good, the cable is good. I also did a firewire target mode via the Mac Book Pro to see if the 4 HD's in the Mac Pro are working, and they came up on my Mac Book Pro just fine, at this time the monitor also did not display the firewire logo on the screen as it normally does?

Next I tried to insert the Apple provided disk to run from CD-Rom to bypass the HD's but no video, at least the keyboard works. I also opened up the door on the Mac Pro, made sure all HD bays were secure, used a air can to remove a little dust, check RAM slots and their secure, and don't know what else to do? Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'd say take the refurb back to Apple and get them to fix it. You've just about covered all of the other possibilities there.

3. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I think your right, thanks for the quick response BlueRev, I also tried to zap the PRAM for what it's worth, and no go. I set reserved an appointment at my local Mac Store at the Genius bar, hopefully a genius can figure it out? It's funny because I fired it up a 4am this morning in Mac OS 10.5.6 and had no issues, then when I got home from work at 2pm, it just wouldn't come up at all? Very odd... I'm curious as to if it's hardware or software?

4. finnschi macrumors 6502

Probably Faulty Video Card... so i would Assume HW , maybe a overheating issue! so that the Video card turns itself off after getting too Hot! i might also just be software related, although i think that more people would have reported such an issue! :D

5. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah possibly the video card? But it's not that hot underneath my desk? Room temp is about 68 degrees with good ventilation? Then again it is refurbished, so we'll see. Thanks guys!

6. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

I can't stand not having my baby up, so I tried to fire it up again, and it's weird, it's kinda like it goes directly to sleep mode?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just take it in to the shop. Not worth the hassle, especially when dealing with a refurb. Words of wisdom: intermittent problems become constant problems as soon as your warranty ends.