Refurbished Mac Pro's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by michaelsviews, Jan 12, 2009.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

For those that have them, any regrets, problems?. There are more listed on Apples site and the savings is pretty good.

Also after you placed your order how long did it take to get the computer and where did it ship from ?

If repairs are needed , do you have to ship it off or take it to the local store?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There really won't be any repairs necessary on refurbished machines. Apple fixes any hardware and software problems they might have had and gives the case a once-over looking for blemishes.

There's really nothing ever wrong with buying refurb, especially because Apple doesn't seem to care what machine they give you!

People have reported ordering machines and receiving surprise upgrades to their RAM, HDDs, and even graphics cards! You can't go wrong buying refurb.

3. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Refurb is the exact same thing as new. Same parts, same quality, same warranty, same appearance, etc. The only differences are a new serial number noting its a refurb and lots of money off the retail price.

If there is a refurb in the configuration you are looking for, there is no good reason to buy a "new" model.

4. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, missed it by a couple of minutes , oh well life goes on

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I bought a Mac Pro refurb several months ago. Love it. No regrets so far.

Every day, they come and go throughout the day in the apple store.

6. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the information, I called in to Apple just to see if there was something internal that may not be seen on the outside and the rep said they see the same that we do .

He said the 2.8's go FAST, you cannot wait if you want it go through the store and buy it, and than if you have any questions, to call in because the order can be canceled

Oh well maybe next time.

7. nemodomi macrumors member

nemodomi

If I were wanting to purchase a refurb Mac, I'd be refreshing the refurb page every half hour or so. Most other folks' opinions that I've read suggest that new refurbs show up at frequent intervals, often more than once daily.

8. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

Ordered new, should be here by Friday, got a great price and saved a nice amount of money.

Oh one thing that Apple told me was that they have all the refurbished computers in a warehouse in CA and do NOT work on them till they get orders for them. Not sure if its true but that's what I was told by 2 different people on the phone. And when it says 3 to 5 days shipping thats the time they use to refurbish the computers

Thank you to everyone that responded to my post.

P.s. Now I have to find a monitor :eek:

9. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I bought mine refurbished, and I would assume that the "we refurbish when we get an order" makes sense. I mean, why bother replacing parts like the CPU and have no one purchase it in the future? :p Money wasted.

But congrats on the purchase! And the "3-5 days" is what they use for shipping. I'm sure it only takes them an hour or so to find issues and fix them. ;)

And as for a monitor, if you can find a cheap Apple Cinema Display, go for it. Otherwise, any DVI or VGA monitor will work on your Mac Pro.