Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pennyroll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Hi all,
This is my first posting here (partly because I just bought my first Mac today). I got a refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive from the Apple store. I don't need anyone to tell me I should have gotten the newer brushed aluminum because at this point it will do no good and I will just cry, arrrggghhh :)...but I do have some actual questions.

-really worth buying the AppleCare protection program for it? I've used a Mac at work for years with no problems and I cringe a little at paying $170 bucks for coverage.

-do I need to upgrade the memory (currently 1GB; 250 serial ATA hard drive)? I'm a technology editor and do a lot of Flash/ Photoshop/ Illustrator-heavy work, and although MOST of it will not be on my home computer I do want the option.

-Is it worth shelling out the extra bucks for Mac Office 2008 instead of 2004? I want good, compatible stuff...but it sounds a little like I'm going to have to sell my kidneys on eBay to pay for all this by the end of it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give and sorry I'm such a clueless lunatic about this! I have no good excuse.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Hi all,
This is my first posting here (partly because I just bought my first Mac today). I got a refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive from the Apple store. I don't need anyone to tell me I should have gotten the newer brushed aluminum because at this point it will do no good and I will just cry, arrrggghhh :)...but I do have some actual questions.

-really worth buying the AppleCare protection program for it? I've used a Mac at work for years with no problems and I cringe a little at paying $170 bucks for coverage.

-do I need to upgrade the memory (currently 1GB; 250 serial ATA hard drive)? I'm a technology editor and do a lot of Flash/ Photoshop/ Illustrator-heavy work, and although MOST of it will not be on my home computer I do want the option.

-Is it worth shelling out the extra bucks for Mac Office 2008 instead of 2004? I want good, compatible stuff...but it sounds a little like I'm going to have to sell my kidneys on eBay to pay for all this by the end of it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give and sorry I'm such a clueless lunatic about this! I have no good excuse.

1. Yes on the apple care. There are other posts about this same issue.
2. Again yes if you do a lot of photoshop. Will run smother
3. I run 2004 and have no problems with it. I always try to stay alittle bit behind in office software. No reason for me to go to 08 yet

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
1. Yes.....if something goes wrong (like a logic board), that $170 will more than pay for itself very quickly!

2. As with most cases, yours included, I say mAxDaRam!!!! Another REALLY sound investment 4 sure :p

3. You can find office 04 for good price on ebay now, or just wait a few weeks after 08 is released, then alot of upgraders will be selling it even cheaper...... I bought it recently for $45......and it runs great on my QS.....should really fly on anything newer. But 1 big advantage to 08 will be that it is universal and will run natively on macintels........

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Buy the memory from OWC and save a bundle on it! I think OS X runs funny with only 1 gig of memory, anyway.

As for office, I don't see any reason to rush out for the newest hoo hah they've released. If 2004 suits you, use it.

Pennyroll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
1. Yes.....if something goes wrong (like a logic board), that $170 will more than pay for itself very quickly!

Twitch. Good point. I was thinking more minor things...but with a refurbished I guess it's probably better safe than sorry. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Pennyroll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Buy the memory from OWC and save a bundle on it! I think OS X runs funny with only 1 gig of memory, anyway.

See, as a first-time buyer I am paranoid about buying anything that's not from Apple because I'm not sure how to tell what's what. Am I being an idiot about that? I know...is probably like buying my tires from the Saturn dealership. Which I did. (cringe)

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
See, as a first-time buyer I am paranoid about buying anything that's not from Apple because I'm not sure how to tell what's what. Am I being an idiot about that? I know...is probably like buying my tires from the Saturn dealership. Which I did. (cringe)

Most places have ask what model you have. Also another place to check is ramseeker.com

Klian

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2006

Dont worry.

OWC... Crucial... are trusted sellers :)

Pennyroll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Most places have ask what model you have. Also another place to check is ramseeker.com

Ok, thanks for the reassurance! As far as what you said about Office 2008 I have kind of a follow-up question. It looks like I can get student/ teacher version of 2004 for the exact same price as home/student 2008. Any input on which if there's no price difference? Sorry, I'm not being lazy...I have done a lot of outside research on my own, but this just seems like a knowledgable pool of opinions. Better than random reviews by far.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Ok, thanks for the reassurance! As far as what you said about Office 2008 I have kind of a follow-up question. It looks like I can get student/ teacher version of 2004 for the exact same price as home/student 2008. Any input on which if there's no price difference? Sorry, I'm not being lazy...I have done a lot of outside research on my own, but this just seems like a knowledgable pool of opinions. Better than random reviews by far.

Well price was the only problem I had. If you can get if for the same price as 04. I would say go for it. As there is no reason to buy 04 for the same price as 08.

Good luck :cool:

landlover

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Think about it

On the Applecare, the reason the price is $170.00, the average repair is under that amount. Extended warranty are not worth it if you ask me. With forums like this you got all the help anyone needs.

skwij

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
Get the Applecare. One MAJOR repair pays for it. A couple of MINOR repairs pays for it. The peace of mind pays for it. Think about it: even if you pay full price of $170, over 36 months it's peanuts.

Get Applecare off eBay, just be sure it's for the iMac series you have. Way cheaper than getting it direct from Apple.

Max the RAM. Cheap cheap upgrade! Just keep the default stuff to stick back in the machine if you have to take it in for repair.

Pennyroll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Max the RAM. Cheap cheap upgrade! Just keep the default stuff to stick back in the machine if you have to take it in for repair.

Good god!!! Why is there such a huge difference between RAM from the Apple Store and from Crucial? The Apple store would cost me $300 for 2GB, and Crucial would cost me $47.99 for 2GB. There has to be something I'm overlooking here. Is Apple RAM more expensive because it's necessary? I put all my computer specs in correctly in Crucial...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.