Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smc333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi everyone,

So my 15" MBP, purchased in March was pretty good, but I've been noticing a lot of trouble with it:

1. There's a small chip in it that was there when I got it, not a big deal, but it is kind of irrirating.

2. The lid shuts misaligned, to the point where I could rest a quarter on one side of the bottom while the lid is shut.

3. The battery had cycles on it when I got it, and certainly does not hold up to Apple claims, on IGPU, brightness down, etc... And quickly drops from 100% to 95% within a few days when always on power.

4. The connector for MagSafe often doesn't show an indicator light, it looks like the center pin of the connector is worn.

I did upgrade the HDD and RAM, which are user serviceable, according to Apple. So I was hoping to bring it in to them, and see if they'll replace the case/battery/whatever for me. I only want the same as I had before, not trying to cheat my way into a newer machine, but I'm worried about the longevity of this machine, since it was $1,300...

Any thoughts?

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
1 is trivial and 3 is normal. As for 2 and 4, if the case has warped (not resultant of a drop or similar) and the magsafe isn't functioning properly they might repair or replace those for you.

smc333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Boston, MA
So the result of them must be from warping, it was slight when I first got it, but has since worsened... Definitely has not been dropped.

Would they allow me to move my HDD and RAM to the new replacement, if that were to occur?

Kyzelios

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Would they allow me to move my HDD and RAM to the new replacement, if that were to occur?
I don't see why not, as those are parts that you purchased and upgraded yourself. If you still have the original hard disk and memory I would simply replace them in the computer before taking it in for service just to make things easier.

smc333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Boston, MA
I don't see why not, as those are parts that you purchased and upgraded yourself. If you still have the original hard disk and memory I would simply replace them in the computer before taking it in for service just to make things easier.

There is no software on the HDD, and the original ram is somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I'm hoping they'll let me replace the machine, because I've had an issue with hardware like this before, and it is one giant snowball...

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Just bring/send your MBP to Apple & they'll fix all your issues for you.

Good luck. :)

smc333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Boston, MA
Spoke to Apple corporate today...

They put a code on my serial number that states when I bring in the machine to an Apple retail store, they will perform all cosmetic repairs free of charge.

Bottom pan, bottom chassis, screen, essentially, all three parts...

I guess I should expect that to take around two to four days, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.