Refurbished Mac with snow leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nobita, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

Suppose I buy a mac today in refurb store, and snow leopard is released next week, will I be getting a free upgrade to snow leopard?

In the other scenario, when snow leopard comes out, would all the macs in refurb store has snow leopard or do we have to wait a few weeks before they have snow leopard in refurb store?

Cheers =)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Probably not, Snow Leopard will likely be confirmed and then released in the fall, like Leopard. If it did get released, if you were within a week you should be fine.

They should update immediately. Since Apple restores all of the macs and then updates them to the most recent OS. For example, if you bought one today...you would not get Leopard 10.5.0, you'd get 10.5.7.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I believe if you buy a Mac, refurb (from Apple) or new, within 2 weeks of the new OS's release, you will get a discount on the upgrade. You'll still have to pay some money, but not the full amount like everyone else.

4. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

In that case it's better to wait until snow leopard really comes out before I buy then? I just saw a really cheap 20" iMac today and this does not happen everyday, I was really tempted to buy this but okay I'll wait.

By the way would they increase prices on refurb store once they install snow leopard?

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Add $129, factor in the value of having it now vs. September...you do the math

Nope.

6. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

I think cheap ones will always be in the refurb store if we wait patiently right? Because i've never fail to find a cheap macbook or imac (that gives me >10% discount) if I wait patiently for at least a month or so...

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Refurbs are nearly always cheaper. You can always check MacMall and others, but Refurb store ftw...

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

White Macbook refurbs with the X3100 are the same price as the 9400M Macbooks at $850. That is the bottom price for any of them and when the newest White MBs with 2.13 GHz come into the refurb store they will probably be the same price.

There are always going to be refurbs in the store you just have to wait for the right time before someone buys it.

9. macgrl macrumors 65816

The only way to be sure is to wait until Snow Leopard is released and then by the refurb. I am not that patient though lol :)

10. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm I don't mind waiting... The only thing I was worried about is if the refurb store does not upgrade to snow leopard when it comes out.

It's only a few more months if not weeks, let's be patient =)

11. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

I was thinking about getting a 24" imac at the refurb store soon, but I suppose I shall wait until SL comes out to get my little bit extra out of the purchase.