Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Anyone have a refurbished Macbook 12" ? How has it held up ? Any noticeable issues? poor battery life etc..

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I bought one recently (within the past month) so I have no long-term comments. I purchased it directly from Apple, not from a third-party retailer.

Apple replaces the case and the battery with new ones. Apple's standard 1-year warranty is in effect so I assume the device will function just like a brand-new device. From my viewpoint, it performs exactly like a brand new computer.

Curiously, I had purchased a refurb MacBook a month earlier that was DOA. Apple accepted the return with no questions. I was rather surprised since I assumed that Apple would test the unit after the refurbishment process. It booted to the configuration screen but always failed to finish the configuration process.

I also have a refurb Apple TV (previous generation) that works as advertised. I also had two iPhones that failed that were replaced with refurbs/field replacement units. Again, those performed like brand new devices.

frings

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
Bought one two weeks ago. Looks like new on the outside. Battery had 3 cycles according to coconut battery.

This is my second refurb, after buying a MacBook in 2008 which didn't have any issues during those nine years.

Can only recommend buying refurbished Apple products. And if you're intl the US, you basically get the to choose from the whole lineup.
Here where I live the 16gb versions get sold out in no time, or don't even show up for months.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
They are as good as new and come with a 12 month warranty, you can add applecare+ if you need to. Go for it.

numtini

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2015
Official Apple refurbs are pristine. They also have a full warranty and are eligible for applecare.

WinkWink726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Pittsburgh Area, PA
I just got a refurb 2017 model and its fabulous so far!
It had a total of 4 battery cycles; everything is in pristine physical condition and I'm very happy!

I got mine straight from the Apple website and it still comes with the typical 1 year warranty and they ARE eligible for AppleCare still ;)

Reactions: Retrostarscream

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I bought one recently (within the past month) so I have no long-term comments. I purchased it directly from Apple, not from a third-party retailer.

Apple replaces the case and the battery with new ones. Apple's standard 1-year warranty is in effect so I assume the device will function just like a brand-new device. From my viewpoint, it performs exactly like a brand new computer.

Curiously, I had purchased a refurb MacBook a month earlier that was DOA. Apple accepted the return with no questions. I was rather surprised since I assumed that Apple would test the unit after the refurbishment process. It booted to the configuration screen but always failed to finish the configuration process.

I also have a refurb Apple TV (previous generation) that works as advertised. I also had two iPhones that failed that were replaced with refurbs/field replacement units. Again, those performed like brand new devices.

"Apple replaces the case and the battery with new ones."

I don't think this is an accurate statement. This only applies to iPads and iPhones. As far as I know, Apple does not replace the case or battery on refurb MacBooks or MacBook Pros unless there are excessive battery cycles or the case is damaged. Where did you get this information from?

Last edited:

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
"Apple replaces the case and the battery with new ones."

I don't think this is an accurate statement. This only applies to iPads and iPhones. As far as I know, Apple does not replace the case or battery on refurb MacBooks or MacBook Pros unless there are excessive battery cycles or the case is damaged. Where did you get this information?
You're probably right, the new outer case/battery is specific to iOS devices. Apple claims to test and certify refurbished Macs. If the battery cycle count is low and the case is unblemished, they won't change them.

Anyhow, as a followup to the OP, my refurbished MacBook 2017 is still functioning normally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.