Refurbished MacBook doesn't turn on... Again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yinz, Nov 21, 2013.

1. yinz macrumors 6502a

So this is a second time I've purchased a MacBook from the online apple refurbished store and its a second time that my MacBook doesn't turn on. This happened last year when I got the MBA and now this year with the mbp. I this a common occurrence or am I just unlucky?

Last year they made me return it and then buy another one. Luckily the model was still around. They said it wasn't past the 14 day period so they couldn't repair it. What a weird policy. This year I am still not past the 14 day period but they helped me book a genius appointment. I hope they don't send me back to call the online store like last year.

Can anyone give me some advice about this. I've bought from the refurbished store before with no problem. It's just their MacBooks. What could cause the MacBook to not turn on like this? Could I fix it myself?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're just unlucky in these two instances. Most have excellent experiences buying refurbs, but it's always possible to get a model that fails after refurbishment and testing. It's just the nature of electronics.

If it doesn't power on at all, your best bet is to take it to the Genius Bar and let them diagnose the problem. If it isn't easily repairable, they'll likely exchange it.

3. yinz thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sucks because I found this model to be hard to find in my area.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

5. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Unlucky. I have nearly exclusively purchased MBPs, iMacs, and iPads from the refurb section of the apple store. My son is using a refurb 2006 1.83 CD for minecraft, the misses using a 2008 2.54 C2D every day, and the family is all using a iPad2.

My experiences are the opposite of yours. Though I do not doubt that this has happened to you. I have bad luck in other areas, that mirror yours. Sometimes you just flip tails 10 times a in row. :(

6. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Is your son using the Mac version of Minecraft or does he dual-boot?
    Any complaints?
    Trying to decide between a 2009 Mac Mini or just giving my son my old Windows laptop for Minecraft.

8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

He's using the mac client. I updated that machine to 10.6.8 so he can get the latest version of minecraft. The client states on startup that the machine won't work with the latest, in the not too distant future. I think the 2006 has a dGPU with 128Megs of RAM. So it stutters a lot, but is still usable, as long as you have "distance viewing" set real low. The amount if VRAM seems to be the biggest factor in playability for a younger child - IMHO.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Thanks for that.
    Sorry about the little topic detour.
    ;)

10. joonyaboy macrumors regular

joonyaboy