Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trumpetfreak895

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I'm new to this site and also to Macs. I'm trying to decide if a Refurbished Mac Book Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 15"

Is worth it or not for $1449 from apple.

If so will it come with the new Lepord or not because I want the new bootcamp software. I heard about that and I wanted a mac. and have always wanted a laptop.

Also Vista or Xp? I want to know what one would be more worth it to put on there... I Guessing Xp for like games and stuff but idk.

What are macs good for because if there not that good for anything I might just buy a notebook pc?

Is boot camp reliable or is it just going to screw up my computer having to OS systems on there. For example am i going to get viruses and screw everything up.

And if it is reliable than how much hard drive space should I have windows run on if I want to play games on it if the MBP has 120Gb and 2Gb of memory?
not like crazy huge games but.

I guess thats all I have for now if I think of something else ill add it later.

thanks.

Trumpetfreak895

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Overview from apple web site

Model
Refurbished MacBook Pro

Processor
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory
2GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

Display
15.4-inch (diagonal), 1440 x 900 resolution, TFT widescreen

PCI Express Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI

Video
Built-in iSight Camera, DVI, VGA (DVI to VGA adapter included)

Audio
Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, stereo speakers, microphone

Hard disk drive
120GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

Slot-loading optical drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Ethernet
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)

Wireless
Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Modem
Apple USB Modem (sold separately)

Input
Apple Remote; full-size, illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor;
scrolling Trackpad

Expansion
One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800,two USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot

Weight
5.4 pounds (2.45 kg) with battery and optical drive installed

Footprint
14.1 x 9.6 inches

Thickness
1.0 inch (2.59 cm)

Video accessories
DVI to VGA adapter included (other adapters sold separately)

Hardware accessories
85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery

More...
Intel Core 2 Duo processor
Powered by the most advanced mobile processors from Intel, the new Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro is over 50% faster than the original Core Duo MacBook Pro.

Built-in iSight Camera
If you need to present to a group, or you'd just like to watch your MacBook Pro from across the room, you've got everything you need. With Front Row and an Apple Remote, you can display photo portfolios, play music, or watch videos from up to 30 feet away. You can also use the Apple Remote to drive your Keynote presentations from just about anywhere in the room.

MagSafe Power Adapter
Mobile users will love the new MagSafe Power Adapter featuring a magnetic DC plug that both ensures a tight connection and enables a clean break from the power port when there is undue tension. It prevents the MacBook Pro from being pulled off of a desk when the cord is accidentally tripped over, and it protects the power cord from wear and tear.

Front Row & Apple Remote
Present your photos, videos, and even Keynote presentations to an audience and control the display from up to 30 feet away.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
my stepbrother is wondering the same thing, he's deciding between a Blackbook and the refurb MBP, same price, I think it's definitely worth it coming from someone who paid 2k and I think that was worth it. Good luck!

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I'm new to this site and also to Macs. I'm trying to decide if a Refurbished Mac Book Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 15"

Is worth it or not for $1449 from apple.

If so will it come with the new Lepord or not because I want the new bootcamp software. I heard about that and I wanted a mac. and have always wanted a laptop.

Also Vista or Xp? I want to know what one would be more worth it to put on there... I Guessing Xp for like games and stuff but idk.

What are macs good for because if there not that good for anything I might just buy a notebook pc?

Is boot camp reliable or is it just going to screw up my computer having to OS systems on there. For example am i going to get viruses and screw everything up.

And if it is reliable than how much hard drive space should I have windows run on if I want to play games on it if the MBP has 120Gb and 2Gb of memory?
not like crazy huge games but.

I guess thats all I have for now if I think of something else ill add it later.

thanks.

Every Mac that ships from the refurb store has Leopard on it. There's a big graphic on the information page for each machine that says so.

Bootcamp will work best with XP, in my opinion.

I would up the memory (get some from OWC, it's cheap) and partition based on what you think you'll need on the Windoze side. And yes, your Windows partition will be susceptible to viruses, just as any Windows machine would be, so you should have a decent AV program like Symantec on it.

MacDann

Trumpetfreak895

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Ok so therefore it will come with boot camp on it because i just checked package contents and it doesn't have that listed on the software?

Trumpetfreak895

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Also if i do get viruses i can just delete them using an virus protection and the viruses shouldn't screw up anything on the mac side?

because the way i see it right now the mac OS is totally separate from the window is that right?

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Also if i do get viruses i can just delete them using an virus protection and the viruses shouldn't screw up anything on the mac side?

because the way i see it right now the mac OS is totally separate from the window is that right?

In the VERY unlikely invent that you get a virus from the windows partition your mac wont understand.Dont bother with a AV on the OS X side as there's none in the wild

Your windows partition needs all the security help it can get

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Saw one of these on the irish Apple store the other day for €1250

Considering it was €1799 only a couple of weeks ago un-refurb that's a great saving on an excellent laptop and would have no hesitation recommending it folks. :)

achambe

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
ordered my MBP refurb yesterday. I waited for the update, and was going to go with the mid range MB, but I really wanted the 15" screen. That was really the only deciding factor for me. I know there is always a lot of discussion about the MBP being too much computer for a casual user, (web surfing, email, iphoto ect) but I just wanted the 15" screen figured the Refurb was a good deal and not that much of a price difference over the MB.

YAY my first mac yooo! HOO!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.