Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trumpetfreak895, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Trumpetfreak895 macrumors newbie

I'm new to this site and also to Macs. I'm trying to decide if a Refurbished Mac Book Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 15"

Is worth it or not for $1449 from apple.

If so will it come with the new Lepord or not because I want the new bootcamp software. I heard about that and I wanted a mac. and have always wanted a laptop.

Also Vista or Xp? I want to know what one would be more worth it to put on there... I Guessing Xp for like games and stuff but idk.

What are macs good for because if there not that good for anything I might just buy a notebook pc?

Will it come with boot camp on it because i just checked package contents and it doesn't have it listed on the software?

Is boot camp reliable or is it just going to screw up my computer having to OS systems on there. For example am i going to get viruses and screw everything up.

And if it is reliable than how much hard drive space should I have windows run on if I want to play games on it if the MBP has 120Gb and 2Gb of memory?
    not like crazy huge games though.

I guess thats all I have for now if I think of something else ill add it later.

thanks.

Ohh here is the info:

Model
    Refurbished MacBook Pro

Processor
    2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory
    2GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

Display
    15.4-inch (diagonal), 1440 x 900 resolution, TFT widescreen

PCI Express Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI

Video
    Built-in iSight Camera, DVI, VGA (DVI to VGA adapter included)

Audio
    Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, stereo speakers, microphone

Hard disk drive
    120GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

Slot-loading optical drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Ethernet
    Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)

Wireless
    Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Modem
    Apple USB Modem (sold separately)

Input
    Apple Remote; full-size, illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor;
    scrolling Trackpad

Expansion
    One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800,two USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot

Weight
    5.4 pounds (2.45 kg) with battery and optical drive installed

Footprint
    14.1 x 9.6 inches

Thickness
    1.0 inch (2.59 cm)

Video accessories
    DVI to VGA adapter included (other adapters sold separately)

Hardware accessories
    85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery

More...
    Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    Powered by the most advanced mobile processors from Intel, the new Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro is over 50% faster than the original Core Duo MacBook Pro.

Built-in iSight Camera
    If you need to present to a group, or you'd just like to watch your MacBook Pro from across the room, you've got everything you need. With Front Row and an Apple Remote, you can display photo portfolios, play music, or watch videos from up to 30 feet away. You can also use the Apple Remote to drive your Keynote presentations from just about anywhere in the room.

MagSafe Power Adapter
    Mobile users will love the new MagSafe Power Adapter featuring a magnetic DC plug that both ensures a tight connection and enables a clean break from the power port when there is undue tension. It prevents the MacBook Pro from being pulled off of a desk when the cord is accidentally tripped over, and it protects the power cord from wear and tear.

Front Row & Apple Remote
    Present your photos, videos, and even Keynote presentations to an audience and control the display from up to 30 feet away.

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Your choice, but it is a good price and then computer is probably a new one that someone JUST returned to get the updated model.

Yes, it will come with leopard. To run bootcamp you will have to buy a FULL version of windows. Most people buy windows xp pro oem full from newegg.com for $140.

Ok, you need to read about what bootcamp is from the buyer's guide. Basically it allows you to run windows on your computer natively - meaning, your mac will act JUST like a PC. Any PC problems (viruses, spyware, etc) in the past will still be problems now and you will still need to run anti-spyware crap and all the rest. The viruses will not see your mac hdd unless you use a program called macdrive (which allows your windows partition to read and write files to you mac partition) and your mac os will still stay virus-free.

If you want to be able to read and write files to your windows partition you have to make it fat32 - this limits the size of the windows partition to 32gb. If you want to either a) run vista or b) have the windows partition be over 32gb you need to make it ntfs. Mac OS can read files on ntfs partitions, but cannot write files to them (but there is software to be able to do this). Most people make their partitions as large as THEY need them so this will be a personal choice.

If you want to run windows you could also try parallels desktop or vmware fusion which allow you to run windows within mac os - the advantage being you don't have to restart your computer to run windows as you do with bootcamp, the disadvantage being that not everything works (but 99% of things do), and that it is noticeably slower than running windows through boot camp but is still plenty fast.

The windows xp vs. vista topic has been discussed ad nauseum in the "Windows on Mac" section of the forums so please go there for more research. In one sentence I can tell you that most people on this forum using windows xp as it is faster, more stable, and more mature. However, many like vista because of its support for direct x 10 gaming.

Umm... I'll let the mac fanboys answer this more fully, but everyone on this site will tell you a ton of reasons why they switched - this is MACrumors.com after all...

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'd highly recommend just going through amazon, by the time you pay tax at apple your going to come out about even, just my though, link.

5. Trumpetfreak895 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea the only problem with that is that it doesn't come with warranty.

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

amazon MBPs don't have warranty? why?

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Please just buy a PC.

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

2 votes NO..

hey simon cowell what's your vote?:D

9. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

It sounds like you don't want a mac with a question like that. Or you just want a mac to just run windows. Even though its still better to buy a mac just for windows but... it wouldn't be a good idea since you can probably find a PC laptop for half of what a mac is. You need to think about why you want to get a mac? Are you going to use it mainly for windows or can you actually find something to do in os x that will justify your purchase. For me, I bought a mac becuase I love the OS, the programs, the design and simplicity, BUT all the programs that I need to run only works in windows. hehe. Funny? I just use parallels to what I need for school. Everything else I use on a mac. I had no problem dropping my savings on a MBP. You have to ask yourself the same question... Deal or no deal?

-JoE