Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shimmer11, Jan 26, 2008.

1. shimmer11 macrumors member

They are back. Looks like the current specs. Good deal or not?

-Andy

2. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Refurbs are always a great deal, but remember that the applecare is slightly different on a refurb.

3. shimmer11 thread starter macrumors member

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

how is it any different from apple care on non-refurbs?

5. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I copied this from a previous post of mine discussing this.

I know this because my MBP showed up with several major problems and so I had to ring apple right away.

Okay, if I had bought it new, apple would have sent me a new MBP and when it arrived I could send the faulty one back. No refunds etc... just a straight swap via courier. I know this because apple told me this!

They said, "sorry, you bought a refurb so your ONLY OPTION is to talk to our refurb returns division, then ship it back and when it logs into our system we will begin the refund process to your card. When the refund goes through you can order another computer." Yeah right!

This is what I went through. It took a few days for the courier to show up. Then a few more for it to reach apples system and then a week for the refund to show up on my card.

I went to the apple store at Brent Cross and bought a "refreshed" MBP. I talked to one of the geniuses and told him what I had gone through and he agreed that it's not fair, but he also said that's the way it is with refurbs.

I cannot stress how much I love my MBP and I am sure some people get perfect machines from the refurb store, but buyer beware because if you have a serious problem wtih the computer you will have a serious headache to deal with Hope my ordeal helps others. Once again, this post is not about apples computers and the quality of their build it's about the difference in customer service for a new product vs a refurb.

Cheers, Tom

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

There are some bad experiences with refurbs. There are also lots of good ones. Same thing for brand new products.

FWIW, I bought my MBP refurb last April. It arrived in flawless condition, was exactly what I paid for, and has posed no problems at all.
    Just recently I determined that I have one of the wonky batteries, and when I called Apple to discuss the problem, they immediately agreed to send me a new one. No hassles, no being told to deal with a "refurb" division, nothing.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I had a few bad and good, stick with new now or the marketplace :)

8. AndyFL macrumors regular

Is this "difference in AppleCare policy" outlined anywhere on the website?

As we know, experiences with CS agents can vary widely....depending upon who you get. I don't doubt your particular situation, but IMO it takes more than one person's experience to tout something as "fact" ("that AppleCare is slightly different") -- especially if it can't be found in black and white.

9. sportsnut macrumors regular

Of course its a good deal. The only reason you should be worried is if you are going to have to discuss a faulty product with a London England :apple: rep.

10. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

It's a fact. Call them and ask if you doubt it.

If you buy something from the refurb division and it's DOA you cannot take it to an apple store for an exchange. You have to send it back. Then once it's logged into their system you will get a refund. Then you can order another one.

They DO NOT do an exchange. You have to get a refund then purchase another and it all has to be done through the refurb division. It's a process that takes a couple weeks. Noted ----- most products hopefully wont have problems so you shouldn't have to go through these hoops.

If you buy something from the online store and it arrives DOA you can take it to an apple store and get an exchange.

This is company policy and has nothing to do with the individual which you deal with. Call em and ask or ask a genius next time you are in.

11. sportsnut macrumors regular

A friend of mine ordered a MBP refurb which had a latch issue. One phone call was all he needed to make to get another one shipped. He was not directed to a 'refurb' division either.

12. BadgerMac macrumors regular

Apple contracts with 3rd party support companies that re trained (poorly) on Apple's policy and procedure.

Lately I had to have a couple user-replaceable parts replaced (AC Adapters, etc) and got different stories each time. Finally was bumped up to customer relations (not by my doing but because of the mess they made of the repair documentation) and they said some call centers just aren't up on Apple P&P. Granted they could say anything but my experience told me they were right.

Since Apple starting farming out a lot of their support it's really gotten medicore and hit or miss. Sometimes you get the old typical superior Apple support, sometimes you get a turd on a phone.

13. Trumpetfreak895 macrumors newbie

Would a mac book pro refurbished apple plan be different from an iPod because i bought a refurbished ipod 30Gb from Apple.com and i had to get a new one because my videos didnt work. There was no hassle. brought it to the store and they gave me a new one. then that one had dead pixels all over in the screen...brought it back and got another free one with no hassle. Now idk if a mac book pro is different but that didnt seem to be an issue for my ipod

14. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

just got off the phone with a CS from apple care 2 hours ago.. chatted online with one last night and just came back from apple store..

ALL of them says that there's no difference with the warranty from the new or the refurbished one.

i hope this clear things up.. i'm sure the policy here in New england is the same in all 50 states.

bought my refurbished 2.2 MBP last tues. got it today and i love it..
    i don't miss the " packaging" that comes with the new one..
    i Definitely FEEL the savings!