Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChicagoDude, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ChicagoDude macrumors newbie

Hello,
    This is my first time buying a MAC and I see that the Apple store is offering a refurb MacBook pro for a $300 discount.
    Original price: $1,999.00
    Your price: $1,699.00

Has anyone had problems buying refurb MacBook Pro's? I want to stay in the $1700 price range so if I don't get the PRO refurb, I'd buy a MacBook 13" new.

Any advice appreciated - Also any other advice on buying MacBook for the first time!

Thanks!!

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The Refurb's a 99% of the time, as new condition. They just don't tend to come in the fancy retail packaging, they come in a brown box.

I personally would buy the refurb model because it means any problems that the machine originally had, have now been resolved and it'll be a good machine :)

3. dcp063 macrumors member

re

just bought that exact model refurbed from apple. I used the extra money i saved to buy 4 gigs or ram to cram into that puppy. I don't expect any issues with the MBP when i get it. 1 more day!!

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

If one were to bootcamp into windows to run games, is there any benchmarks that show the impact of the lower graphics card memory? Is there any impact?

Games like Oblivion? WoW? Fallout 3 when it releases?

5. Paix247 macrumors 6502

Link

If you can afford it, go with the more VRAM, because you can't change it later!

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

from that article:

"The 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo (256MB GDDR3 video SDRAM) was at most 9% faster than the 15" 2.2GHz MacBook Pro (128MB GDDR3 video SDRAM). If we average all the results, it was 5% faster. Suspiciously, that 9% maximum gap corresponds to the 9% difference between the 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo CPU clock speeds. At least for graphics intensive apps like 3D accelerated games, it can be argued that the extra video memory doesn't buy you anything."

So I don't think that link suggests that the smart option is to go for more VRAM now...