Refurbished MacBook Pro good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tawcan, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Tawcan macrumors newbie

My current desktop is pretty old (~5 years?) and I'm getting quite fed up with Windows and the slowness of my machine. I've been thinking switching to Mac for a while now but after last night's crashing fiasco I think that drew the line. Anyway I was looking around and found refurbished MacBook Pro on Apple's site. More specifically this one:

http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_108250/product/FB134LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

Is it pretty safe to assume that the refurbished MBP are as good as brand new ones? Also it is a good idea to get the "old" MBP? In terms of performance there doesn't seem to be any significant real time difference between the new and old MBP (I think?).

Typical everyday use:
    -browse internet, email, IM
    -photo/movie editing

Replies are much appreciated. :)

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Either MacBook Pro (new or old) would be great for your needs.

Refurbished are pretty much the same as new Macs, but they come in brown boxes instead of the fancy packaging (My girlfriend recently got a refurbished white MacBook and she's very happy with it)

3. Tawcan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Would it be a good idea to get the extended warranty if I go with the refurbished MBP?

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I suggest getting AppleCare to extend the warranty for any portable, new or refurb. Also you can get AppleCare the same time you buy the laptop or any time within 1 year of purchase.

5. youngbe macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook Pro 2.2ghz last December that was "Refurbished" i also bought the 3 year apple care warranty. I love it ! no problems, when i recived it it came in a regular brown shipping carton. Other than that it looks NEW!! the battery is was in good condition and still holds a good charge

Highly recommend the apple refurbished products.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Refurb products are wonderful from what I've heard on the forums. My MacBook would have been, but I wanted the iPod Promo.

7. 88michael macrumors newbie

One of my friends purchased a refurbished macbook and he as pretty pleased with it. Pretty much similar to a new one.

Peter Yan has a really cool video of him purchasing a refurbished iMac which highlights the steps involved and the packaging. See the video at www.peteryan.net

8. drossad macrumors regular

Definitely go for the refurb and the Applecare. You won't be sorry. Have fun!