"Refurbished MacBook Pro" or "New Alum Macbook"?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pawcio, Oct 19, 2008.

1. pawcio macrumors member

pawcio

Hi, I'm currently debating which macbook to buy and I'd like to hear some of your suggestions about which route I should go. This will be my first apple computer and mostly I will be using this for basic things like browsing, email, photos, itunes, and some light video editing. Also, I'm planning to start doing some iPhone application development. Im also planning on installing windows xp with bootcamp just in case I need to use any specific program. I don't intend on doing ANY gaming on this because thats what my xbox 360, PS3, and Nintendo Wii are for. Also, I don't really care about the whole firewire situation since I dont really have a use for it.

So here are the choices I'm considering: (Note that all prices are in Canadian $$ and include any student discounts were applicable)

Option 1:
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch widescreen display
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Full-size, illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor; Multi-Touch trackpad

Price: $1,449.00 + AppleCare Protection Plan ($279) + tax = $1,952.64

Option 2:
    New Alum 13-inch MacBook 2.0GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    160GB hard drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

Price: $1,494.00 + AppleCare Protection Plan ($218) + tax = $1934.56

Option 3:
    New Alum 13-inch MacBook 2.4GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
    2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    250GB hard drive
    Backlit Keyboard

Price: $1,649.00 + AppleCare Protection Plan ($218) + tax = $2109.71

So basicially those are my options since I wanna stay within the $2000 bracket for final price. I'm mostly liking Options 1 and 2, the only reason I added 3 was for the backlit keyboard (which would be nice to have but not mandatory). The problem I have with Option 1 is that graphics card problem thats been reported, I would hope that they have already fixed this problem in these refurbished models cause I dont think they would be still selling a product with a faulty part. I would have applecare either way for 3 years so I should be okay no matter what. The reason I want option 2 is because it is smaller/more portable and its new design looks awesome! I would upgrade the hard drive probably to 500gb sometime in the near future since hard drives arent that expensive.

So which option should I go for that will give me the longest usability/compatibilty for the future? Any suggestions, comments, feedback is greatly appreciated!

2. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

Will battery life, physical size, screen resolution be a factor, and will this be your only computer? I am getting the macbook because I have an awesome vista workstation, but that I don't have a laptop that I can travel regularly with.

3. pawcio thread starter macrumors member

pawcio

Well, as long as I can get at least 3 hours battery life, that should be enough since usually wherever I will be using it, ill be close to a power outlet. As for physical size, Im not too worried about the difference in size since both are fairly small. Screen resolution looks good to me on both (I looked at them in apple store couple days ago), so that shouldnt be a factor. And lastly, I do have 2 other laptops, 1 dell and 1 toshiba, as well as a desktop computer. I dont really care that much about running windows on the macbook cause if I reallllllyyy need to, I can always use one of my pc laptops for that.

Hope to hear more feedback! :)

4. pawcio thread starter macrumors member

pawcio

Anyone else care to shed some light on my options that I posted above?? Please and thank you :eek:

5. redmeister macrumors 6502

was going to say option1 but do you need firewire for your video editing stuff or no? i am assumming not since you listed new macbooks as options

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

7. Jpoon macrumors 6502

If you don't care about the foot print of the Pro, I'd go with the MacBook Pro. The video card is better, and you get more ports. I'd assume that battery life is about equal with the Macbook. And the Pro has a better screen if it's a matte finish (in my opinion).

8. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Spend some serious time with the new Aluminum MacBook before you make your decision. They're awesome. If you don't check them out before deciding, you may kick yourself later.

9. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Is the MBP a Penryn (Early 2008) model?

BTW both models can be upgraded to 8GB RAM…you just need a boatload of cash…(btw there are no DDR3 4GB SO-DIMMs yet but there are DDR2 4GB SO-DIMMs)

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Head to Amazon and look at the 2.4GHz 15" 'older' MBP. With the rebate, it's just shy of $1450. You won't pay tax or shipping, and it's new, not a refurb. I just got one myself.

I had the same decision to make, and ended up with the older MBP mainly because I have some Firewire external drives and would rather use FW than USB 2.0 with them. Also, I just prefer the matte display. Would have liked the 13" form factor though.

11. Greystorm macrumors member

I had this same dillemma.

I actually ordered the 15" MBP but then after discussing the known faults in the video card that ships in the previous gen MBP my wife and I decided that we didn't want a machine that was very likely to fail early so I cancelled the MBP and ordered the new MB 2.0ghz.

12. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Love my new 2.4 ghz Aluminum MacBook! It's super fast too...Wouldn't trade it for the world.

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, I fought with that too, but decided to roll the dice. ;)

14. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Mbp!!!

Dude, I was in the same boat as you and I went for the Macbook Pro (pg). I am soooo happy with my new computer. In terms of screen and graphics power, there really is no comparison. Also, I was expecting the MBP to feel a lot heavier but there isn't really a noticible difference. Don't worry about what you hear on some of these boards about the graphics card - apple warranties it for two years without applecare!

The screen alone would be enough of a difference for me to go with the pro. It's so brilliant, colorfull and consistant!. I went with a matte screen and it looks like the stock apple fish background is REAL! It's crazy!

I love the previous generation macbook pro!!!!!

15. miko0007 macrumors newbie

Same boat

Same problem here. The pro from 2007 is even better than the new macbook. Pro is a Pro is a Pro. I was about to buy the new macbook but than I saw the refurbished ones and I had a crisis. I returned the macbook I bought 2 weeks ago and now will most likely (85% sure) get a 2.4 Pro this week. Has a better graphics card, more space (200 GB), same memory as base aluminum, but a bigger screen and better audio, oh and a firewire port. All round its just a better computer.

16. JJBagoose macrumors newbie

I asked myself the same question and ended up with a new 2.0 MacBook.

I already have a decent desktop so I was looking for a machine that would be fairly portable. I almost bit on the Pros that amazon is selling but I only wanted to spend about 1500us total.

I was able to get the new MB with 4gb RAM for about $1430 so I am pretty happy.

I really liked the old MBPs but didn't want to take the chance with the video cards and I like the smaller footprint of the MB.

17. pawcio thread starter macrumors member

pawcio

I dont think Im able to order from amazon.com since I live in canada, and amazon.ca doesnt have them, only amazon.com does. Anyone in canada know if there is some way for them to ship the macbook off amazon.com to canada?

BTW, thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Hopefully i'll decide by the weekend.

18. pawcio thread starter macrumors member

pawcio

Bought One! :d

So, just in case you guys want to know what I decided, just got home from the store and bought a brand spanking new....

Alum 13-inch MacBook 2.4GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
    2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    250GB hard drive
    Backlit Keyboard

Just about to open the box and start seting it up and playing with it! This is my first mac computer so I'm really excited! :cool::apple::rolleyes: thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

P.S. I didnt get the AppleCare yet, i definetly will within the next couple months. Just wondering if any of u bought AppleCare from ebay? I see them for fairly cheap on ebay just that I'm not 100% sure if its safe to buy AppleCare on ebay.... any comments/suggestions about where to get the cheapest AppleCare would be appreciated! :)

Happy Mac-ing to everyone! :apple:

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Or, maybe you could

wait and see what the benchmarks are between the two systems. Do as I say, not as I did. I bought the 2.0 this weekend, and had the apple store up the ram to 4gig for 150 USD. I don't know if it's the extra ram, or putting opera on as a browser, but this thing really seems to fly through web pages now. :D