Refurbished MacBook Pro - Right for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by metroid87706, Sep 7, 2008.

1. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Ok, first off, I am sorry if any of this has been asked here before, but I kinda need some advice from people about my current situation. Well, here goes!

I just sold both my PC and my iBook G3, so I am currently computer-less (I have the family PC, but I need my own, and more powerful and portable.) So, I was interested in a refurbished last-gen MacBook Pro. I really don't care about any updates, as I just need power, not the latest stuff.

I was interested in the 2.2GHz 15-inch model, here: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP17

Now, is there any issues I should be worried about? Do these have the video issue, or since its refurbished, would it be fixed with a better GPU?

Now, I'll be using this for Graphic and Web design for school and for my own designs I make. I think a MacBook Pro would be better than a MacBook because of the dedicated GPU and bigger screen. Or would a MacBook be ok? I do prefer the MBP for those 2 reasons, (and the extras, such as Backlit keyboard, aluminum) but is it too much, while a MacBook will be good enough? Price isn't that big of a deal. The MBP I want is $1,449, while a refurb MacBook is $899 or $1099. I'd just take out a loan (and have to pay it back) from my parents or grandmother, so either way, I'll have enough. (I have $950 at the moment.)

Now, Is Apple good with refurbished stuff? Is it reliable? I know it has been asked, but I just wanted to make sure with some more people, wouldn't you? Should I go with AppleCare as well?

And last, do you think 2GB of memory is good for Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS3 (and CS4 when its out) or should I bump it up to 4GB? I just wanna make sure so I know if I should order some memory with my order. (And yes, I know, "Don't buy Apples RAM. Its too pricey". I have better places to get some. ;))

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I have the 2.2GHz and I have had zero problems and it is a great machine. Its also pretty cheap now. As for issues with the graphics card...all MBP with the nVidia 8600 such as the 2.2GHz are prone to the issue.

3. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I've got the 2.2 as well, it's great stuff, and I've heard nothing but good things about Apple Refurbs. I was actually planning on grabbing a refurbed iMac in a year or so.

However, I know you don't care about upgrades, but it might be wise to wait until the inevitable MBP upgrade because the price on this guy is sure to drop some more after that.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I've got the 2.4ghz, MBP, not the 2.2. Having said that, it is a terrific machine; great spec, powerful, terrific performance, attractive aesthetic, and what you have mentioned a superb screen. The screen alone makes it very worthwhile over a MB. Anyway, I'm very happy with it.

My MBP has 2 GB RAM; however, many on this forum recommend upgrading to 4, especially if you intend to do heavy duty video and gaming stuff; your call, thus far, I have not had much need to upgrade, but that may change.

Re the video issue, all of these machines potentially are prone to it, as noodle654 points out; if you are covered by the warranty, you will get a replacement/repair if things go pear-shaped.

Re refurb, you get a machine that has been rigorously tested by Apple and comes with the standard one year warranty, (upgradable to three should you wish to include Applecare), so you have security and peace of mind on that issue. Knolly advises waiting for the upgrades, as there will be generous discounts on the refurb models; I agree.
    Cheers and good luck

5. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Thanks for your input guys!

As for that price drop, I don't think I can wait all that long for an update to come. As I said before, I can take out a "loan" from the parents, and pay it back slowly but surely, and all will be fine. They agreed to pay the missing amount, maximum of half of what I have ($950) so thats $425 I can get, which is perfect.

Only gaming I might do is Team Fortress 2 and Portal. XD. So maybe 2GB is OK, but maybe, just so I can have the most out of it, I'll max it to the 4GB. Who knows.

Now, the MacBook Pros have a LED screen, correct? I think the last to not have it was the Core Duos if I'm not mistaken, or whatever the 2.16, and 2.33s were.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 2.2 MBP would be a great choice. It's at a great price, will run TF2 and Portal great, and yes it is LED backlit. 2GB is enough for almost everything.

7. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Very good to hear!
    Yeah, my friends bug me to play TF2 but I could never run it on my nVIDIA Geforce FX 5200. So that'll be cool to finally play it.

Now all I really need to do, is wait for it to show up on the refurb store again. It was there last night, but gone this morning..

This will take a while, to get it at a time when I'm home from school, and my mom is home. Fun fun. XD

I know its obvious, but when you get a refurb, is it a new, refurb, or used battery? I'm pretty sure its new, but I could be wrong.

8. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I'd assume it's new as I've never heard of refurb batteries...

I also play Portal, TF2, and other games like FEAR on mine and they run beautifully. You'll love it.

9. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I got a refurb MBP 2.2 SR, 128gpu, 120g HD, 15.4" matte for the same price you are looking at, $1449. I ordered mine in April, and got the free shipping. For all practical purposes, it was a 'new' machine. It looked perfect, had all the original stuff in the box, and had the full warranty. Only difference was the color of the box. Oh, yes! The battery is new, so is everything else, including the MBP. Reconditioned doesn't mean "used." It could have been a quality control check that was failed during manufacturing, and the machine was pulled from the line. This would mean your refurb was individually looked at, and brought up to brand new spec performance and condition. If it did see a little use, all parts that anyone touched were replaced, and all components thoroughly tested. When you register your refurb with Apple, it is considered a 'new' computer. My refurb MBP is now considered 6 months old.

So far my MBP has been flawless, with no problems at all. I use it constantly, and pack it to and from work and various wifi cafe's around town as well as using a Verizon cellular modem when I can't hook up anywhere else. At first I was a bit overly 'careful' with it, but now I realize it's a well made, tough laptop.

I don't really see the negatives to buying Apple officially 'certified reconditioned products.' Save yourself around 30%. Get the Applecare sometime before the end of the first year, and you should be a happy camper.

10. razvansky macrumors newbie

Refurb Canada

Hi,

bought from apple.ca 1 refurbished macpro 2,4GHz and one MacAir.
    Booth had some batery cycles (8 for Air, 6 for Pro), but apart from that
    they were as new.

However I found out later, MacPro had a keyboard issue, the up arrow key is sometimes not working.

Back to europe I want to an apple service provider and told me they could fix it because Apple has 1 year worldwide waranty but it would take 2-3 weeks.

The Air is fine. Also bought an ATv 160GB refurb. Works wonders.

11. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

12. Cadium macrumors member

They might have them in stock, I'd call the store in your area to find out. I own a 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro and it is the best computer I have ever owned, no issues whatsoever with it.

13. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Wife has 15 inch MBP SR 2.2 (13 months old) as well and has no issues, no video corruption, nothing.

Cheers,

14. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I have an Refurbished 2.33ghz an it's awesome! I would buy refurb again cause I don't care about having the latest neither.

15. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

it looks like i'll be fighting you for the 2.2 refurb macbook pro haha.

I have a macbook at 2.2 (all though i might just go for the 2.4 to get a proformance upgrade aswell)

But i LOVE my White Macbook 2.2. But i feel i need the larger screen, a much better screen overall, dedicated video card, extra multi touch options (that switching between pages on safari is AMAZING), better speakers ,backlit keyboard ect ect.

Now im wondering if the 250 dollar diff i should dive for. Until i decide you and i will duke it out for the 2.2 model on the refurb store :p

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Refurb 2.5ghz MBP here, it's awesome.

2GB should be fine for dreamweaver etc etc.

Go get yourself a good deal. :)

17. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Hahahaha, its on! This is war! I won't be getting it for a while, maybe at the end of the month. So if it pops up, don't expect me to be getting it yet.

18. SimD macrumors regular

Careful there, only the Penryn MBP offers Multi-touch meaning that 2.2 won't have it as it isn't one.

19. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

yeah i just noticed that the 2.2 does not have the multitouch.

So the 2.4 is for me.

btw the 2.2 is on the store now.

20. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

lol. Just noticed that its gone. lol. Too late.

Also, what is the chance that you guys thing that the multi touch is ALL in the trakcpad, and a top case that has multitouch can be put on one without, or is there more on the logic board thats missing? Just curious.

21. nephilim7 macrumors regular

It's hardware, not just software.

22. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

... Um, I know that. What I asked, is if the multi-touch hardware is all in the trackpad, or is it on the logic board.

23. nephilim7 macrumors regular

your response to my misunderstanding makes me so want to respond to you in a helpful manner :rolleyes:

24. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Hahaha. Its fine. I was just wondering. I have a feeling its on the logic board, so yeah. :D