Refurbished Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattjh1999, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mattjh1999 macrumors newbie

For Christmas my parents told me that I could get a laptop. They gave me a budget of $700. I know a lot of people that have Macs and they said that they have nothing to complain about them.

I was looking on Amazon for the refurbished ones for $700 or less. I came across the Macbook Pro MC374LL/A and it met the system requirements I was looking for the that is the one I was looking at.

My two questions are
    1.) What are your opinions on refurbished Macs? and
    2.) Is this a good version of the Macbook Pro?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, there's a difference between a refurbished Mac and an Apple Certified refurbished Mac. There is no guarantee as to the refurbishment process that others may use. The following applies only to those refurbished by Apple and offered on the Apple refurbished site.

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

3. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

with the $700 budget i would take an apple refurbished macbook air over an uncertified macbook pro from an independent seller

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Buying anywhere but Apple can be a risk, but if the seller has a decent return policy you can check it out and run it through it's paces first and make sure it is as described. I got a Mid 2010 15" off a guy in one of my classes for $650, but it was just a good deal.

Just yesterday I bought a Late 2008 15" to replace a Mid 2007 model I bought a few months ago because its just a little too creaky and does some odd things. It was $530 for the 2.53GHz model in "Like new" condition complete with box and all original accessories. It was from a seller that deals with laptops and refurbishing and has a 90 day no questions asked return policy. So I feel that it was fair.

If you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a decent Mac for not a whole lot. I tried Craigslist first, but there weren't any in my price range, and the ones that were were very shady sounding.

There's still a few decent priced used ones on the page I got mine from too.
    http://amzn.to/1fpss4O

Also saw one 15" Mid 2010 for $630

As to the one you're looking at, it's a fine machine, and it would do you well. I've had my Late '08 13" for 5 years and I've loved it. Just wanted a bigger screen.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I wouldn't buy a nearly four year old laptop if it can be helped. If you're planning to use it for school or a future job, you'll be much better off buying a newer model, even if it's more expensive. Amazon is not an authorized Apple seller, so it's likely that Apple will not honor any warranty that that machine has. I'd save up for a certified refurbished or new Mac or consider if your needs can be met with an iPad instead.