Refurbished Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by byttle, Sep 23, 2007.

1. byttle macrumors member

byttle

heya, I plan to get a refurbished Macbook Pro in October and I was wondering if I should wait for Leopard to come out first before I buy it, but then I thought...are they going to even put Leopard onto the refurbished Macbook Pro? And if they are not, would I be better off buying the laptop now? any thoughts?

2. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

As soon as Leopard comes out, refurbs will have it. Refurbs differ from new macs only in that they come in different boxes and have likely (but not for certain) been first bought by someone else and then returned for whatever reason.

3. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Are you sure about the software part of it? I thought the refurbs came with whatever software was on them at the time they were produced. Although I do remember a thread on MR in which a refurb buyer complained to Apple and got a free software upgrade.

4. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I was under the impression that they only came with the original software.

From the UK site:

"Includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details."

I am interested in a refurb Macbook but am hanging on to see what happens towards the end of the year, ahem, new Macbooks which may be mean a steep drop in the current ones!

Perhaps anybody who has purchased a refurb recently could comment on whether they got the latest version of iLife?

- D

5. byttle thread starter macrumors member

byttle

From the Apple website:

More software
    In addition, MacBook Pro comes with an incredible bundle of software:

* - iLife '08* (*answers the question above)
    * - Front Row
    * - Photo Booth
    * - OmniOutliner
    * - iWork '08 30-day trial
    * - Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 30-day Test Drive
    * - Aperture Trial
    * - FileMaker Pro 30-day trial

Note: Other software may or may not be included (pre-installed or on CD's/DVD's) with refurbished products, subject to availability.

so does this mean if leopard is "available", then it will be on the refurb?

Edit: also found this on the FAQ of Apple's refurbished products:

# includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.

So no leopard im guessing?

6. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I guess though if it shipped with iLife '06 originally then that would be what you get ... not sure what the turn around is on refurbs?

Otherwise, it's as you and I understand it I think, whatever the machine came with origiannly is what you would get.

- D

7. byttle thread starter macrumors member

byttle

So then its probably a good idea to buy the refurb as soon as possible, correct? Since refurbished macbook pro's are more subject to change in stock than new ones. But I still feel like i want to wait for leopard. :p Im soo bad at making up my mind :p

8. djkny macrumors 6502

Apple WILL throw in Leopard discs as courtesy for refurb machines. They did this with Tiger and Panther (I got DVD's of OS updates for both).

9. byttle thread starter macrumors member

byttle

alright, thank you! Guess im waiting for leopard.

10. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Me too!

Cheers

- D

11. AndyFL macrumors regular

I bought a refurb 2.16 on Aug 15th. Specs said it would include iLife '06 and it DID include iLife '06. I noticed the 2.2's and 2.4's were shipping with '08. So, it supports the idea that they will ship it with whatever originally came on the machine and not just whatever is the latest and greatest.

I don't know that I would bank on Apple just "throwing it in." Many people have said that Apple will provide the $10 iLifeUTD disc if you bought your machine within x amount of time of the release. Yet so far, I've been denied.
    I understand though, as mine was spec'd with '06 originally.

This is going to be one of those YMMV things -- might get lucky, might not. Come back and update the thread when it's all said and done.

12. byttle thread starter macrumors member

byttle

Ill just make sure to call customer care or something and get everything sorted out with what will come with it and what-not. Hopefully leopard :p otherwise its mo' money out of my pocket online or a run to the apple store thats 2 hours away...so sad..:(

oh another question, how often do the Apple stores have refurbished macbook pros 'n such?

13. AndyFL macrumors regular

Didn't think B&M Apple Stores sold refurbished ....? I could be wrong, but I've never seen nor heard of refurbished stuff at a B&M. Best bet if you're looking for a particular model is to check the on-line store religiously. It seemed to me that they tended to refresh stock in the mornings, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, though I did see things pop up on other days as well. They don't last long though....usually OOS by around lunchtime the day they were added. Good luck.

14. JTag macrumors newbie

probably

I bought a refub Macbook shortly after iLife 08 was released and it came with a drop-in disc. It was noted on the webpage that it came with iLie 08. If you are not in a hurry to get one, then wait for Leopard to come out and check the refub webpage to see if it is included.