refurbished macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khoward1972, Mar 23, 2010.

1. khoward1972 macrumors newbie

Has anyone bought a refurbished from the apple store? If so have u had any problems with it?

2. oliverb macrumors member

My current MBP is a refurb - it is a 3,1 17" 2.4GHz C2D from Feb 2008. It has done me good service - no problems that relate to it being a refurb. It has a screen blemish now, and the battery burst its case about 3 months ago - got that replaced under AppleCare extended warranty, which I would recommend for any mac. This was my first time with a refurb and it was a good experience. One small let down - the refurbs come in plain brown boxes... so if you're into the unboxing stuff, it won't be as fun.

3. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

I have one its a MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, 2 GD RAM, 160 GB HD
    It's perfect I am glad I bought it Refurb. it saved me almost $300

4. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

definitely get the refurb, it is the same exact thing as the 'conventional' Mac, it just comes in a regular box and not the fancy Apple box. Personally, saving $300+ significantly outweighs having a nice looking box with a picture of a Mac on it but you know..

I've had absolutely no problems with it and the next time 8 buy a Mac, it will definitely be a refurbished one.

5. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Go refurb, use the money you save to get the AppleCare Protection Plan.

6. Charlie.naylor macrumors newbie

i got a refurb 15" macbook pro 2.5gz with the 512mb 9600GT back in the summer for £1000 instead of the fullprice £1600 or something, not bad. works fine too, smelled like it was new too..

7. crobbins macrumors 6502

I personally buy new since I get the edu discount and if you buy at the right time comes with a free iPod Touch, but I have a friend who has already graduated and will only buy refurbs.

8. Charlie.naylor macrumors newbie

im still a student too, and still received a 33% discount, cant really say no to that :3

9. rpang macrumors member

Nothing wrong with Apple Refurbs. Its the best way to save some cash. I have no issues with the brown box they come in.

10. p1ngputts macrumors member

33%? I thought student was 10%

11. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I have a unibody pro 15 that I got refurb. The only difference is the box. Many of my friends that ask me about where to get a Mac. Refurb has never failed. They are always flawless. Maybe I've gotten lucky, but most people are very happy and you save a lot.

12. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

I'm quite happy with my MBP - it's a late 2008 model unibody 15".

The only thing I wasn't happy with is the sneaky tactic used in regards to how much you save off the retail price. The refurb store (Australian) indicated I was saving 32% off the RRP, however that saving is from the original sale price, not the current price.
    At the time I bought it I didn't realise I was purchasing an '08 model. For an extra $100 I could have purchased a brand new 15" unibody (albeit without the discrete card and removable battery).

It's a case of buyer beware, and at the time I wasn't aware. Now I am I'd definitely be checking the refurb store twice before I bought anything again, just to make sure I was getting a good deal.

*NB - I still did get a good deal, as it has all the proper warranty etc. If I had purchased off eBay for cheaper, it would have been an older model, with cosmetic wear, no warranty, etc.

13. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Bought a refurb and it was excellent for 6 months until the wireless card went on it, then a comedy of errors snowballed (although I blame that on the repairers rather than the unit itself), but was good as new when received and a great machine.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you do have major issues repair wise, Apple will only replace the unit if they have the same model in stock, they won't upgrade like with a new one. Mine got refunded in the end. Been waiting for the refresh since :(

14. khoward1972 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I think i will give the refurb a try.
    Rune what model to u have trouble with?

15. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

It was the late 2008 2.4GHz unibody 15" MBP.

Think I just had bad luck in that realm though most people seem to be fine with refurbs, hope you enjoy yours dude :)