Refurbished MacBook Q's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andrew D., Apr 24, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

So I'm planning to purchase a refurbished MacBook once I have enough money, I'm just trying to tie up some loose strings. I already searched the forums but couldn't find the answer I was looking for, so here I go:

I noticed checking the refurbished section on Apple today that there were two types of MB's they were selling: Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. Of course the CD is cheaper so my question is what is the difference between the CD vs C2D?

In regards to 1.83Ghz vs 2.0Ghz, is there really a big difference between those as well? How bout specifically a CD 1.83Ghz to a CD 1.83Ghz? And also C2D 2.0Ghz to a C2D 2.0GHz?

Sorry if I'm asking all these questions, I just want to make sure my future purchase will be the right one for me. Right now I'm currently looking at the Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz C2D 1GB 80GB for $1,099. I was also thinking maybe just pulling the trigger and getting a iBook G4 but I'm not sure.

Thanks for reading my newbish post, sorry if a lot of this was already asked.. I just couldn't find it. Take care!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi there, and welcome. Here are some basic attempts at answering your question:

1) The difference between the C2D and Core Duo processors is about 10-15% at the same clock speed in most things at present -- that is, a 2GHz C2D is about 10-15% faster than a 2GHz Core Duo. There are some things apparently that are much faster. Also the C2D can execute 64-bit code, and the Core Duo cannot. There's varying opinion about whether 64-bit processing will be advantageous for users with less than 4GB of memory. It's all speculation until Leopard comes out and people start deploying 64-bit code in apps.

2) C2D Macbooks have 802.11n wifi cards.

I *have* an iBook G4, but I'd definitely recommend that either Macbook is a big improvement in every way except size and battery life over an iBook (which is smaller and lasts longer on a battery). I'd really recommend going to one of the Macbooks.

3. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I wrestled with the same decision a few months ago. I ended up going with a new MacBook, but the refurbs are, I'm told, just as good. Anyhow, if you're planning on keeping your future laptop for a long time I believe it would be better to go with the MacBook. Not that the iBook is a bad choice, I just think the MacBook will give you more options a year or 2 down the road.

4. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks you two, yeah.. I think I will be going for a MacBook but I'm just not sure which one? If others would please provide me with more information that would be great! Thanks in advance!

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I was wrestling with buying new, education discount or refurbished. Obviously new wasn't going to be the cheapest, so it was edu. discount or refurb. My needs are basic, mail, internet, simple games, and other lay stuff. Seeing how a refurb CD 1.83 was only 799, i jumped on it. Every time I would talk myself up to a higher one, C2D or 2.0, I just thought of my uses.

Now the reason to go to C2D or 2.0 was if you had a wireless N router, needed the dvd burner.

Also my macbook arrived perfectly and in great shape.

6. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks kellen, I was wondering.. what exactly is the wireless N router anyways? More imput would be grand! Thanks!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's the next round of WiFi technology -- it actually isn't finalized yet, but what it offers is essentially better speed (practically about 2-3 times as fast as 802.11g) and longer distance (maybe 2-3 times as far, but in any event, slightly better). It's close enough to finalized now that companies like Intel / Apple, and the major router manufacturers are offering 802.11n hardware that they promise will be upgraded by firmware to the final standard when it comes out.

8. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks mkrishnan for the info, I didn't know that. So it would benefit in the long run if I went for a MacBook C2D 2.0GHz with the new wireless capabilities?

9. robPOD macrumors 6502

Go for the c2d it will last you longer in terms of technology

10. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

That would benefit you in a couple ways: if you should want to use Wireless-N in the future (or now, even) or if you want/need a DVD burner. I have found the DVD burner useful for backups since you can never tell when a hard drive will fail. Also, the 2ghz comes with 20 more GB of HD space and an extra 512MB of RAM stock.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Dont get the Core Duo. It has all sorts of issues like extensive heat, CPU whine, discoloration etc.

I also recommend that you stay away from the 1.83 Core2 and get 2.0 GHz, because the higher end version has 20 more GBs of HD space, has double the RAM (you'll want to upgrade it anyway to at least gig), has a slightly faster CPU (not very noticable) and has a dual-layer SuperDrive, so you can burn 8.5 GB DVDs.

You get so much more with 2.0 at a small price difference :)

Note, that if you want to get 2 GBs of RAM and dont really need super drive, you should probably better buy 1.83, because you wont be paying for 2x512 MB RAM that you will replace with 2x1GB sticks, just 2x256.

Hope this helps.