Refurbished MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bmxracer, Apr 19, 2014.

1. bmxracer macrumors member

bmxracer

Would a refurbished MacBook model MC240LL/A be okay for general internet browsing, Microsoft office, and basic photo software? Are there any main issues to look for with this model? It says it comes with Lion installed, is that as new as you can get? Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here are the specs for that Macbook. That would be a perfectly fine machine for the light usage you described.

That Macbook can run the newest OS X Mavericks version, but you would want to add some memory to get you up to 4 or 6GB first. You can either buy two 2GB RAM chips to get to 4GB, or one 2GB and one 4GB chip to get to 6GB total in that Macbook.

3. bmxracer thread starter macrumors member

bmxracer

Thanks for the help. Is there a certain brand ram chip I should get? Would there be a noticeable difference between 4gb and 6gb of ram?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

RAM is pretty much a commodity. If it meets the specs, it will work. Just buy it from a known vendor that will support you if it fails. Crucial's memory scanner utility is nice to see what specs you need. Then you can either buy from Crucial or write down the specs and buy elsewhere.

For the light usage like you described, I don't think you will notice much of a difference between 4GB and 6GB.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I recommend Crucial not because of cost but because of reliability. I have yet to have a bad stick of RAM from them. RAM is kind of a "if it fits and is the right speed" type of matter.

6. bmxracer thread starter macrumors member

bmxracer

I am now looking at several different models. How do I tell if they will be compatible with Mavericks? Thanks

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a list of Macs that will run Mavericks.