Refurbished macbooks... availah bility?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by larimin, Jan 4, 2009.

1. larimin macrumors newbie

Hey there, I wanted to buy a base (2.0 Ghz) refurbished alum macbook but the Apple store seems to have just run out of them. Does anyone know how often they are made available for sale? I would love to get one but didn't know they sold out so quickly! : (. Alternatively, the higher model (2.4) advertises for $400 dollars more. Does anyone have any opinions as to whether the price jump is worth the added features? My needs are primarily word processing (writer), photography, and web surfing, so don't know if a faster processor would make such a difference in my life.

Thanks!

L.

2. Heimlich macrumors member

Well if those are your only needs then you definitely don't need a faster processor. You can do those tasks with a the cheapest netbook. But of course, it's always up to the user to buy what he/she "wants".
    And hey! planning to buy a refurb macbook to right around February. The last time the low end macbook appeared in the refurb store was about 2-3 weeks ago. The low-end macbook usually shows up and disappears in like 2 days so Im guessing its in high demand. Might be another 1 or 2 weeks till it shows up again.. but who knows. Just bookmark it and keep checking

3. youssefm macrumors 6502

the 2.0 macbook was in the refurb store about 2 days ago.. but it sold out within a couple of hours.. i suggest waiting until after macworld because the 2.0ghz model might get cheaper because they're phasing out the plastic macbook

4. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

You just to keep going to the web site often, I have seen them in the morning and gone in the afternoon and back sometimes in the evening, I guess its hit or miss for now, just keep checking.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

For what you're doing, an iBook should work fairly well...

6. larimin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your comments and tips... I'm new to all this, so it definitely helps. (if I'd known, I'd snatched the macbook up when I saw it on the refurb site!) ;). I'm pretty confident that for my needs the baseline (2.0) should suffice... though in fantasy a 4.0 lb macbook pro that chops & dices & does laundry would be in the works! As I'm transitioning from a PC, I'll probably use the extra cash to buy software/compatible peripherals, etc. Though that raises a last question: I assume my MS word files should be smoothly read by Macs, correct? Or would you suggest getting a higher model (2.4) and getting a Windows system of some kind installed?

Danke!

7. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Office for mac runs extremely fine and starts cold in just 3 seconds for me, reads all my other office files fine wether it be .doc or .docx everything works perfectly, no worries about that!

It is very smooth i enjoy it even more on my mac then on my PC!

the 2.0ghz model will suffice your needs, everything you do will be very reactive, no worries!