Refurbished Macs & Free upgrades

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
262
0
I have read about people who buy a refurb mac computer with specific stats, but get even better stats via free upgrades (IE.1 GB of RAM instead of 512). Can anyone attest to how common this actually is?
 

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
889
0
ct, us
Planner Dude said:
I have read about people who buy a refurb mac computer with specific stats, but get even better stats via free upgrades (IE.1 GB of RAM instead of 512). Can anyone attest to how common this actually is?
It happens occasionally, but I doubt anyone has any real statistics on how often it happens. I'd say buy it and if its upgraded, great, if not, oh well. I wouldn't bet on it.

BTW, the refurb mac I bought was standard.
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,623
1,457
nosen said:
It happens occasionally, but I doubt anyone has any real statistics on how often it happens. I'd say buy it and if its upgraded, great, if not, oh well. I wouldn't bet on it.

BTW, the refurb mac I bought was standard.
What do you think is a better buy and will have a better resale next spring...

a refurb 20" iMac 2.0 Intel Core Duo for $1,199 + tax
or a used 20" iMac 2.1 G5 (built-in iSight) for $800-950

both are 10.4 512MB RAM 250HDD BT & AE
 

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
262
0
roland.g said:
What do you think is a better buy and will have a better resale next spring...

a refurb 20" iMac 2.0 Intel Core Duo for $1,199 + tax
or a used 20" iMac 2.1 G5 (built-in iSight) for $800-950

both are 10.4 512MB RAM 250HDD BT & AE

refurb 20" iMac 2.0 Intel Core Duo for $1,199 + tax for resale value
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,623
1,457
Planner Dude said:
refurb 20" iMac 2.0 Intel Core Duo for $1,199 + tax for resale value
You don't think I could still get at least $600-750 for the iMac G5 by then. I think if I can get it for as low as $750-$900, that's a cost of $150-200 over 6-9 months. That's about $20/month. Am I crazy thinking I could resell it for that much??

What do think the 20" Core Duo would fetch.
 

NeoMac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
220
0
I bought a 17-inch G5 iMac refurb and it was supposed to come with 160 gig hard drive but it came with a 250 Gig. I doubt I will ever use that much space but it was cool.
 

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
262
0
roland.g said:
You don't think I could still get at least $600-750 for the iMac G5 by then. I think if I can get it for as low as $750-$900, that's a cost of $150-200 over 6-9 months. That's about $20/month. Am I crazy thinking I could resell it for that much??

What do think the 20" Core Duo would fetch.
if you found the right user you could sell it, but I just think that by haveing an intel machine, you have an insurance policy
 

JAT

macrumors 604
Dec 31, 2001
6,511
122
Mpls, MN
Poll would work better.

I bought a Mini. Listed as: 1GB RAM, 100GB drive. I received: 2GB/120GB.

So far batting 1.000!
 

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
505
0
Los Angeles.
When I bought my 12" PowerBook refurbed I got a 512mb RAM stick instead of the (then included) 256mb stick.

When I got my G5 iMac, I had an upgraded hard drive.
 

bcarter360

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
11
0
I bought a refurbished 20" Intel iMac and was supposed to come with the standard 128mb video card and 512mb RAM but instead shipped with the 256mb memory card and 2gb of RAM!