Refurbished Macs? Good, bad, or ugly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArkabaS, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

Hi forum people,

I need help deciding whether to buy a MBP with an education discount for $1799 (USD) vs. a refurbished MBP for $1699 (same specs). The price difference is minor, and generally I would not go anywhere near a used computer, however recently I have been informed that refurbished computers are often better than brand new ones. Brand new computers, especially the recent (post-Intel) macs, tend to have a high rate of flaws/glitches, so refurbished computers are essentially those which have been ironed out and fixed. Is this fair logic? Any advise or words of wisdom regarding refurbished computers?

Many thanks :cool:

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

If I were you I would go with the Refurb. But if you need to upgrade your HD I think you need to buy a new one. I have heard great things about Apple Refurbs, so go for it!!

3. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I also recommend the refurb. You save some cash that you can put toward an external HD, and you know that the Mac has been given a little extra inspection.

4. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I personally would never go with Apple refurb machines again. First gen MBP had many horrible problems. Had it repaired 3-4 times and finally got a replacement. Then again it was Rev A so I am sure you would be fine buying a refurb Mac.

5. turnstylez18 macrumors regular

i got a refurb ...it is good as new...but the price difference is only 100 which is not really a big of a deal..well to some people

6. arcobb macrumors regular

2.2 GHz
    New = $1999
    Edu Discound = $1799 ($200 less then retail)
    Refurb = $1699 ($300 less then retail)

Three hundred dollars is nothing to sneeze at ... especially when you consider the value loss with in a couple of months. It's kinda like buying a new car ... the new car is never a great value because it deprecates so much the second you drive it off the lot. A use car has already lost that and you could resell it and not lose nearly as much. I say go for the refurb, it has the same warranty and you could use the savings to purchase apple care for it if you wished. So for the price of a new mac ... you can get a refurb and apple care.

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.2) 16;320x320)

I've always been very happy with the refurbed Apple products I've bought, and the fact that they have the same warranty as new products is great.

8. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

No free iPod with purchase of refurb mac, is there?

Otherwise, i would definitely reccomend the refurb. I got mine and it literally IS new. You cant tell(except packaging, that was ugly.)

For people who think refurb macs are unreliable, eat this.
    [​IMG]

9. rapidrobert macrumors newbie

You can't tell the difference between a "new" and refurb apple product, I take that back you can tell the difference, the price.

10. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Ordinarily I would say

go with the refurb, but since you seem to be a student(otherwise you couldn't get the edu price) go with a new one if you are buying before Sept. because then you can get a free iPod nano.

Even if you don't want it you could chuck it on ebay and still come out a little bit ahead and you would have a new mbp.