Refurbished Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kk2007, Apr 11, 2007.

1. kk2007 macrumors newbie

I am about to buy a new notebook computer and i want to switch over to a mac. I am still a college student so funds are limited and i was just wondering if i could get any information about refurbished macs, i know they are examined by apple but was wondering if anyone has purchased one and recommendations to either buy a better computer refurbished or a lower model new. Thanks.

2. gavd macrumors 6502a

I've never bought a refurb myself, but lots of people on here recommend getting them. I'm sure you'd be really happy with one so I'd say got for it.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought a refurb iMac one time and was quite pleased with it. I couldn't tell it wasn't new in any way except the brown box. However, if you live in a state that charges sales tax, you may find that buying a brand new computer from Amazon is actually cheaper (after the rebate). I just bought an iMac for my wife, and the refurb store price was $1049+tax= $1135. The same iMac from Amazon (brand new) cost $1199-75= $1124. So I opted for the new one.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

kk2007, someone creates a thread just like this pretty much every week. If you do a search, you'll find a lot of people have posted about their experiences with refurbs.

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I bought a refurbished 20" C2D iMac and I am very happy with my purchase. I got a great product and for a lot less than buying a brand new one, I saved around 35% off the rrp. If you don't mind refurbished Mac and want to save some cash it's well worth looking into it.

6. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I also bought a refurbished 20" iMac C2D. It looks/acts like a completely new machine and it came with a free processor and video card upgrade. all for free and cheaper than a new stock 20". Needless to say, I would definitely by the refurb. You get the same warranty and can buy applecare so there is no downside IMHO.

Cheers

7. mantic macrumors 6502a

I purchased my 2.33 C2D MBP as a refurb.. It seems brand new. Only thing to complain about is it was shipped with a non functioning remote.

8. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Refurb products are a great buy. Cheaper, near-perfect quality (although my iMac seemed perfect), and you may get a free upgrade.

9. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

10. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I've had experience with TONS of refurbs and, if anything, they're more reliable than new machines!

11. Mr. Gumby macrumors newbie

I bought my mac mini refurb and apart from a barely noticeable scuff on the top, it works perfectly (I've had it for almost a year now). My brother bought the same model refurb and it came with a larger hard drive (80gb instead of 60gb).

I'd definitely buy refurb again.

12. noirluispher macrumors newbie

I purchased a refurb (check my sig). And it appeared brand new except for the numerous "grey screens of mystery" that occured within 2 hours of booting up (and continued for the next 24 hours as I was going though the Apple troubleshooting techiques). To make a long story short, Apple sent me a replacement refurb and refunded me 100.00 dollars from the sell price of 1999.99 for the my troubles. The second refurb is working like a champ.