Refurbished Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BtheMan140, May 8, 2008.

1. BtheMan140 macrumors newbie

So, I've been seeing people talk about refurbished Mac's are the way to go. I'm going to be a freshman in college this year and I was just wondering are the refurbished MacBooks OK? I mean I don't want to spend 1200 dollars on a black refurbished one that isn't up to par when I could spend about a hundred bucks more and get a brand new white MacBook loaded with the same internals as the black one?

So I guess in essence are refurbished MacBooks the same quality as their brand new counterparts?

2. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Simple put, refurbs are better. They have already been real world tested and any faults have been found and fixed. The only difference between the refurbs and the brand new is that the refurbs may come in a brown box, not the retail box. Other than that, they're the same if not better and cheaper!

3. RevsR75 macrumors newbie

Go for it

I've loved my Macbook Pro. Great deal and great computer. 3 months in.

4. BtheMan140 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot I was just kinda timid at first about buying a Refurbished computer.

5. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Sort of bump...I was just browsing the refurb store and there are a lot of entries across the board. A little odd actually...

6. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

I agree, the refurb store is full of just about everything! why would anyone buy old junk off eBay when the Apple refurb store seems to be full with everything right now! Mini's - iMac's - Pro Quads everything! and the prices are great :)

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

And refurbs come with a one year warranty.

The ONLY reason not to is if you qualify for the ed store "buy a mac and get a free ipod" deal. In that case, there some are combos of new computer and ipod that work out to be a better deal than the refurbs.

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

dont worry bro -- me too taking the crunch/bite today -- just ordered only Mac Mini off apple UK Store refurbished. lets see how it is... i hope its good... however its only a secondary one macbook pro (MBP before penryn) 15.4 inch is my primary machine.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Refurbs are fine if the price is good. Sometimes with rebates from people
    like Amazon (and no sales tax) you can get just as good a price.

10. mgclayton macrumors member

I've got a refurb AEBS, refurb MBP, and refurb Mini. All of them have been absolutely perfect. No problems at all. They come with a 1 year warranty, AND you can get the same Applecare on them as new machines, should you so wish.

Oh, I almost forgot, I've got a refurb Airport Express for travelling and refurb iPod too. Now I just have to work out what to do with all the money I've saved! ;)