Refurbished Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by freediro, Mar 25, 2009.

1. freediro macrumors member

freediro

Hello everyone, i am new here and have 2 questions,

First off i am looking into buying a Mac to replace my POS Dell. I am looking at buying a refurbished Mac, is this a good idea, i take good care of things i buy and just curious if any one has had or heard of problems with buy refurbished Macs?

Second question is, i go to college and constantly on the move! So i am looking at getting either a new MacBook 2.4 or a MacAir. I don't game and don't run many programs, besides office program and the internet, also i do not download many things, but i do know i want to buy and learn how to use adobe photoshop. So i am just looking for some friendly advice.

If you have to ask me any questions to better give me an opinion feel free to ask!

Thank you!

2. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

First Answer
    GO FOR IT!
    I have a BlackBook Refurb, and used to have a 30Gb iPod Classic Refurb (sold it) They both work flawlesly! My BlackBook even came with 2Gb (rather than 1Gb from factory)
    The only con in Refurb Macs are the brown boxes, that's the only thing you won't get, the shinny, gorgeous Mac Box, which also by experience I know they're great just to have it there as an ornament. The rest, is a straight forward GO FOR IT!

Second Question
    I'd by de MacBook, unless you already have a primary Computer and the MBAir would be your secondary one. But is just a matter of needs, taste and budget.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

I also say to go for it.... My wife and I have bought several refurb systems and have had no problems. They are sold (and in my experience, delivered) "good as new" including the warranty.

My personal preference is to get the last version of the previous model, rather than the first version of a new model. You are get a better deal, and mature technology. My aim is to keep a system for 3 to 5 years.

Get the MacBook IMO. Unless weight is priority for you. While the Air can work as a primary system, it was designed as a 2nd, travel system. My wife has a loves and her Air, but when home does the heavy lifting an old MBP. As a first system, you should go more mainstream. Think of the Air as a a "Got my first job after graduation" present?

Read the many threads here about how to switch, and how to do things the Mac way. There are differences between the basic philosophy. Not everything is better is on a Mac, but I've found the overall experience is better - if you don't try to keep doing it the Windows way. Don't start any threads that start "Windows does this, why doesn't a Mac?" You won't get much sympathy. Good Luck, and Congratulations.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

+1 for the MB. The Air has sexy appeal, but isn't really for the heavy lifting of some photoshop work. I agree with berk, get the air as a grad present for yourself :cool:.

5. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Refurbished macs come with the same service and repair warranty that brand new macs have. This is the real benefit of the apple tax, IMO, and it's something that allowed me to buy a refurbished iMac with few qualms.

6. uk_blaster macrumors member

I've got a refurbished macbook pro that is less than two months old.

I've been back and forth to my local apple store three times in the past 5 days trying to get my "disappearing" 9600m fixed and have it actually show up in sys profiler with no satisfaction. (Apple still has the machine)

I can say for sure I'll never do the refurbished machine route again. The aggravation I've been dealing with for the past five days is not worth the $200-$250 dollar savings. :(

I can't help but keep thinking that I paid over $1,800. for someone else's problem that I can't get fixed.

It's not a good feeling. :mad:

And to clarify, Refurbished macs apparently DO NOT come with the same service options because I was offered a brand new replacement unit by my local apple store only to have them renig on the offer once their records showed that the unit was in fact a refurbished model.
    So, I can say without a doubt that refurbished apple machines are not treated the same as a new, retail box units in terms of service.

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It is the same warranty as new - if you read the fine print, it is apple's choice whether to give you new or repair it. If you find the actions of your local store unsatisfactory, squawk to a higher up.

8. Zmmin3 macrumors regular

I heard what everyone else is telling you and decided to go for a refurb.

Now I dont think I will be going the refurb route ever again.

As long as the refurb you get works perfect and you don't have to exchange it, you should be okay.
    Unfortunately that was not the case with the refurbs I got. The exchange process IMO is a pain and aggravating..from waiting for an RMA to having to make special trips to FedEx to ship it back.
    Yes with refurbs you have to ship it back yourself although Apple pays for it. I am currently in the process of having to exchange a refurb that was a replacement for the first refurb I got(which was basically DOA).

Here is my current thread concerning the exchanging of a refurb:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=667268

9. freediro thread starter macrumors member

freediro

Wel i have a PC desktop at home where i do most of my heavy computer work, that is why i am looking at the air for on the go and more simple based/standard work on a laptop.

but thaks for all the info, i am for sure just going to get a refurbished Mac!

10. Zmmin3 macrumors regular

best of luck.....