Refurbished Macs??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TeddyLeroux, Oct 14, 2009.

1. TeddyLeroux macrumors member

I was looking at the apple store hoping for new imacs and macbooks... but instead i found a section called refurbished macs and i have a couple questions.. First of all are these reliable computers?? Do they remove the previous users data??? Can you get an education discount plus the refurbished price?? That is all:apple:

2. Deppe macrumors member

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals?mco=MTA4MjY5Nzc

And you can not get the education discount on refurbished Macs!

3. ncdasa macrumors member

Some people are real anal about buying a brand new mack and wont ever consider buying a refurb (which is fine if the discount isnt an issue for you). But personally i dont see any problem with them. I bought one a few years ago (a black macbook) and they come repackaged and as if they are brand new in every respect (there are no signs of previous use whatsoever). When I bought mine though, apple wasnt providing the basic one year warranty for refurbs that they do for new comps. You had to buy that seperately. But now they include it with all the refurbished computers. Plus all the refurbs get as many parts replaced as they need to to pass all the same factory tests that the new ones do, so in my opinion you are practically buying a new computer for less.

And now that they include the warranty, if anything is wrong with it within a year (and three if you get apple care) it will be replaced under warranty and you may even end up getting a whole brand new computer if your problem warrants it ;)).

4. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

They're awesome. Only way to go in my book unless you absolutely have to have the latest specs and they don't happen to be in the refurb store yet.

5. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

love em

I think they rock . And they have the same warranty but with A savings

6. findwaldonow macrumors member

I bought a refurbished late 08 MacBook pro this past summer and had a rough experience at first. On the first computer I got the diagonal row of keys starting with 3 down through the C keys were completely dead. I called and initiated a return which was actually really simple and they sent me another one that would completely drain the battery overnight in sleep mode. By the time I got that one returned the 2.53's were out of stock. This was right around the time the new iPhones launched so calling customer service the many many times I needed to was a nightmare. However, the upper level guy I got put through to eventually upgraded me to a 2.66 at no extra cost and I've loved the machine ever since. I really couldn't be happier with it but I did want to let you know about a less than perfect buying experience so you can judge. Customer service was outstanding through the whole thing and worked out fine.