Refurbished MB 2.26 or MBP 2.26?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by badlydrawnboy, May 5, 2010.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I'm looking to pick up a refurbished MacBook or MacBook Pro for under $1k. I went to the Apple refurbished Mac page and found two options.

One is a recent model MacBook 2.26 w/250 GB HD. The other is a MacBook Pro 2.26 w/160 GB HD. The MB is $850 and the MBP is $929.

Seems like they have very similar specs, including the same NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card, L2 cache (3 MB), system bus (1066Mhz), SuperDrive, etc.

So what's the main difference between these two? The MB has a larger hard drive, yet costs $75 less. Am I basically paying for more upgrade capacity with the MBP?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The MBP support up to 8GB of DDR3 while MacBook only support 4GB plus MBP has FireWire800 while MacBook does not. MBP also has SD card slot and backlighted keyboard

3. dcoux09 macrumors member

Thinner
    Lighter
    SD Slot
    Backlit Keyboard
    Aluminum
    Firewire
    Resellability

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBP weighs 0.9 pounds more....

It's smaller so how on earth can you find it better :confused:

You actually have proof of that or just an assumption? They are both easily sellable.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I agree with the other two, but where'd you get that the MBP is heavier? Its 4.5lbs vs. 4.7lbs for the MB.

Don't forget: You can still get the white Macbook for $799 from Microcenter and the new 13" MBP for $1049 (AR) from Macconnection. I assume you'll want 4GB of RAM, so there's another $100 or so... and the graphics are much better in the new MBP than in the white MB. I think its worth the extra bucks (that's why I bought it), but if money is that tight, the white MB for $799 (or $849 refurb if you can't get to Microcenter) is a great deal.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Damn! I was looking at the 15" :eek: Hate that it is the default when you open the Technical Specifications in Apple's site :p That's anyway only 0.2 pounds, not really noticeable unless you carry a scale with you

I agree with you on that. 4GB is almost a must nowadays and new MBP is better overall too

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The MB can accept 8Gb ram (the Apple website states only 4Gb for this and the Mini but that is not true)
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_White

The price difference for the two refurbs makes for a difficult choice but if the 160gb hard drive of the MBP is too small for your needs then that could be a tie breaker since that means spending another $75 - $100 for larger and faster drive.

The real tie breaker is if you have a MicroCenter.com near you as they offer New MB's for only $799. I bought mine there. You get a 50% larger hard drive than the previous model 13" MBP. You lose backlit keys and firewire and the cooler look. But, for $799 it is a very good deal.The only thing I miss is the backlit keys but it is not a big deal.

8. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I, too, think that $799 for the MB is a great deal, especially since the hard drive is the same as the MBP. The only problem I have is that I think its a shame that Apple still sells any computer with 2GB of RAM (MB and MBA).

9. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

Don't care about the HD too much because I have a Mac Pro with 4 TB of storage and 10 GB RAM as my main machine. I don't even store data on my MB - all of it is in the cloud (Dropbox, MobileMe, etc.). I just use it when I'm traveling for email, web, etc. and for meetings, presentations, etc.

Don't need the extra power of the MBP, really, but I much prefer Aluminum to white and I like that it's thinner, too.

There's a Microcenter about 45 minutes from me. $799 is an awfully good deal. Thanks for the heads-up on that. $1049 for the MBP is pretty good too.

Tough decision.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That 250$ can be invested on AppleCare for example.

11. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

I went to MicroCenter.com and the only MB they list is the MB Air. Do I have to actually go in to the store to get the $799 deal, or might they be sold out?

Also, I checked MacConnection.com and they have the MBP for $1099 (after rebate), not $1049. Am I missing something?

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

On the bottom of the page, 999$ BEFORE 200$ instant savings http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/apple/index.html

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9899411&cac=Result

13. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

14. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The special deal at Microcenter requires pickup. To find the deal you have to use the drop down menu to select the store near you and then place an order - you have two day to pick up else it is cancelled. Here is a link to the deal - just use the menu to find a store and it will tell you the current inventory. also, the NJ store, were I live only charges 3.5% tax. they also have some Open Box deals for even less but most seem to have plenty of NEW inventory - mine has well over 100 in stock.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0321997

As for Apple Care. I recommend B&H Photo for the best price of $189. They are as legit as they come and I have shopped there for many years.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582542-REG/Apple_MC246LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_MacBook_.html

15. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Think I'll go with the MBP from MacConnection. The MB from MicroCenter is $800, but after tax and $100 for 4GB RAM upgrade, it will end up being $965. Another $90 for the MBP seems worth it. The 160 GB HD isn't a problem, as I mentioned before, and I can easily (and cheaply) upgrade later if I need to.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just to remind you that the 13" 2.26GHz MBP comes with 2GB of DDR3 too, so that's 100$ to make it 4GB. Sorry if my earlier post confused you, forgot that we are talking about mid 2009 13" MBP which didn't come with 4GB :eek:

17. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah, thanks a lot for the clarification. I didn't realize that was the mid-2009 MBP. One thing that attracts me to the 2010 MBP is the 10-hour battery. Is it really significantly better than the 7-hour one in the MB?

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=909709

What I've heard, the real life is 7-8 hours, not 10. Some even got shorter than that as seen in the link above.

The new one is only 50$ more than the 2009 MBP http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=11301204&cac=BrandsItem

19. EasyJW macrumors member

i'd go with the macbook, unless you want 8gb ram as opposed to 4 that is the limit with the macbook [​IMG]

20. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

It appears that the new 13" MBP is $1099 from Macconnection now. Still, no tax (in a lot of places) and no shipping free (or driving to pick it up). $50 more than I paid, but still not a bad deal...

And as for the battery, you can get 10 hours, but you'll have to be very gentle. More realistic is about 8 - that's what I got yesterday. I mostly surfed and did email (about 4 hours), but I also played Bioshock in Windows for about 40 minutes with the screen brightness on full, and recorded audio with Audacity for 3 hours (that's not terribly demanding, though, as I was just recording line in). After all that, I had 7% remaining, which showed as 30 minutes... I left it run down to 1%, but I didn't notice how long it was...

21. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Still, 8 hours is pretty phenomenal. I'm getting about 15 minutes on my 4-year old MB right now. (Needs a new battery)

22. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Read a few posts up, not true. MB takes 8 gigs as well.

Kind of irrelevant since 8 gigs is $375.

The budget the OP is on makes $375 kinda silly.

23. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Another way to look at this is that the MB can be a very good investment. Consider this scenario, you buy it for only $799, 20% below Apples price. Use it for about 10 months then sell it for close to what you paid. The reason for selling in about 10 months is that the yearly warranty will be nearly up so instead of spending about $200 for AC, you sell it while there is still warranty left, then buy the next generation MB or MBP with a 'fresh battery', 1 year warranty, and possibly iLife 11 along with the latest and greatest 2011 model. This gives you a Apple computer for close to nothing, assuming you can get by without upgrading to 4GB which is very possible - and if it is not fast enough you upgrade to 4GB ram for $100 which also raises the value when time comes to sell. Talk about getting a good deal on a computer!!! Remember, this thread started with trying to buy a refurb MB for $850.

Just something to think about ;)

24. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

That's very good thinking, and I appreciate it. I never run CPU intensive programs like Photoshop or Lightroom on my MB - I've got my Mac Pro for that. I basically use Safari, Mail, iWork, and a bunch of other not very heavy apps. Maybe I could get by on 2 GB of RAM?

25. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

With all the things you mentioned you run, 2Gb is plenty. When I made a jump from 2 to 4Gb RAM there was no noticeable performance difference in anything except some Photoshop and some intensive plugins like Topaz Labs stuff. I know since I did my own benchmark tests, plus even with 2GB, Photoshop ran very well - actually at least 2x faster than my previous XP PC. I could easily get by with only 2GB since I do not do any video editing or games other than chess.