Refurbished MBA stock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fayewolf, May 27, 2014.

1. fayewolf macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get a new laptop, my current one is *gasp* 2008 MacBook alum-body!!

I am a fairly light user, mainly browsing, some office work using Dropbox. I do most of my photo editing using iPad, then transfer over for storage.

I will be traveling with the laptop, I'm still a bit torn about MBA vs MBPS, since the retina display is appealing.

For MBA, I'm thinking about 13 " 1.4/8/256, but I can't seem to find the refurbished stock, does it change often?

I prob will be getting the same 8/256 for MBP if I consider going to pro. Thoughts?

Another issue, I have a student ID, but my school does not have a .edu email address. I do travel to Portland often, I'm not sure if the 1.4/8/256 MBA is standard where I can just walk in and purchase or I have to custom config? Will they take an ID for the discount in store?

Thank you!

2. BSoares macrumors regular

I don't think you'll find that config in store... they only have the standard ones. I checked last week when I got the MBA for my wife and the only flavor with 8GB of RAM was the fully loaded one at about $1700 which is way more than I wanted to spend. So I had to custom order online to get what I wanted.

Not sure about using the ID in store, I think that may work fine.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If your school is in the discount programme you don't need a .edu address. You can just access the Apple store from within your school network.

Alternatively, you can place an order over the telephone. Tell them it's a student order, and they'll take a scan of your student id.

You won't find refurb stock of the 1.4s yet. They're brand new, so it'll take 6 months or so. Retail stores themselves won't have the 13/1.4/8/256. The only 8GB one they have will be the 13/1.7/8/512.