Refurbished MBP 15.4" 2.5 - Misleading on Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tank172, Dec 11, 2008.

1. tank172 macrumors newbie

If you go to the refurbished apple store and look down the list, you'll see two versions of the same macbook pro 15.4" 2.5 for $1499. The only difference I could tell is one has "glossy" and the other doesn't describe.

I purchased the seemingly non-glossy version literally 30 minutes ago. After purchase, I didn't see anywhere in the order description the specs on the MBP I just purchased. So I enabled a chat with one of the Apple representatives just to confirm I got what I wanted...

After speaking with her, she informed me they do not have matte versions in stock. I ended up with glossy only.

What can I do about this? I could cancel my order, but since they don't have matte in stock... I'm not sure if it's something that should be a make or break kind of thing?

Also, this is my first post after browsing the forum for some time. I noticed that glossy vs matte can be a heated issue, and I do not want this to become one of those threads.

I just wanted to make aware to you guys that the apple store is misleading on this particular machine.

Glossy Machine:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB488LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA
    Matte Machine (the link I used to purchase):
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB134LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

Did I completely miss something on the link I used to purchase?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. six.four macrumors 6502

I don't think anybody will be able to tell you what happened. If you didn't order the one that specifically says "glossy" then you should receive a matte display.

The best you can do is call them up and ask them. Perhaps you clicked the wrong link when you ordered?

3. tank172 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'll call them in the morning. My purchase receipt has the model number: FB134LL/A

A quick google search will point you to the following link (which is the non-glossy machine).
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB134LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

So I used the correct link on Apple Store, but I'm ending up with a glossy display. :( I tried to cancel the order, but it has already been prepared for shipment and the Apple office is closed. So I now either have to wait for the box to arrive and return it to apple at a 10% restocking fee, or I'm just stuck with a glossy screen.

I hope others who are planning to purchase that machine will be aware of this discrepancy on the Apple Refurbished Store.

4. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

There is no restocking fee as long as you don't open the box

Once you get a hold of apple, let them know your situation.

You'll be just fine!

5. November macrumors regular

On the Australian store it states that you may receive either a glossy OR matte display....

Buy yeah, calling apple should sort it all out.

6. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Whats wrong with a glossy? I know its not what you wanted, but I think its a ton better.

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would look at macmall for a previous version MBP. I do not believe they have refurbished but stock the early 2008's.

8. Scottological macrumors member

I imagine Apple will disingenuously claim that while matte is implied in their description because it's listed as a separate product from the same spec MBP with the glossy screen, it doesn't specifically say that the screen is matte. (That's a lawerly way of putting it...)

On the other hand, the gloss on the old MB's and MBP's is not nearly as "bad" as the glass-covered glossy screens on the late '08's. Personally, I don't mind the old level of gloss.

Careful when you order from MacMall, however. I haven't ordered from them myself, but know several people that say they are most unhelpful should something not be right with your product. Also, I believe the prices listed on their site are after a mail-in rebate which they may or may not make you jump through hoops to get.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

9. nyutnyut macrumors member

let's not start another one of these.

10. tank172 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the helpful advise. I just spoke with apple and I was surprised when I got an intelligent, english speaking person. (no offense to anyone, it's just frustrating when you're trying to get support over the phone and there's a language barrier...)

He stated the glossy version has an '88' in the part number which mine does not. So, the lady I spoke to in the Apple online chat was somehow mistaken. Although she was very convincing during the conversation, so I was sure I ended up with gloss. Also, he mentioned they get calls relating to this issue rather often.

I'm an aerial photographer and photograph multiple locations during a single shoot; and I use my current laptop in the helicopter in conjunction with Google Earth and hand-held GPS. (I really bring it as a safety net/comfort zone. Nothing like paying a taxi $500/hr just to tell him "Sorry buddy, but that house looks like people are home and we need to ask for directions..can we land right there for a minute?!?") So, minimizing reflections are a big issue for me and my work. My current laptop is matte and there are times I'm just looking into a mirror during a bright sunny day.

Thanks everyone,
    Chris

11. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Yeah, never got my rebate for my ipod from them 3 years ago. Their status page said they never got it. I won't buy anything from them that uses a rebate as a result. I have zero faith in their ability to pay up. Rebates are a gamble that pays out less than some slot machines.