Refurbished MBP 15.4 or New MBA 13

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nathancool, Jun 15, 2012.

1. nathancool macrumors newbie

So after been working as a waiter a and barman I finally have enough money to buy a mac. I had my eye on a Macbook Air 13″ Base model but today I went to the refurbished section of the apple website and see a Macbook pro 15 inch 2011 for €1,319.00 so which one would you pick ?

Refurbished MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7
    Originally released February 2011
    Price: €1,319.00

Macbook Air 13-inch : 128GB
    Price: €1,222.00 (with student discount)

2. DevWork macrumors newbie

I would suggest you buy the Macbook for several reasons...
    1) expandability - you can always add more ram and add more storage space to the macbook pro (ram is soldered on to the logic board on the macbook air, ssd for the macbook air is somewhat more expensive than the ssd for the pro)

2) Graphics performance - although the hd4000 graphics in the Macbook air is way better than the previous generation model, the clocked down CPU in the Macbook air will result in laggy game performance. The graphics card in the macbook pro should be many times better than the hd4000 even though it was from last year.

3) Screen resolution - higher resolution macbook pro screen option>regular 13 inch macbook air screen

3. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

If weight isn't an issue (or size) i'd go with the 15" MBP personally. Stronger graphics, can take out optical drive and replace is with a nice 128gb SSD drive down the road.

If you're just looking for something that's light and can do basic tasks fairly well on the go I'd go with the Air