Refurbished MBP 2010 for ~5 years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alexpotter, May 7, 2011.

1. alexpotter, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

alexpotter macrumors newbie

alexpotter

Hi guys,
    I was wondering whether I should get the Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz C2D (2010) from here (UK)
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC375B/A?mco=MTgwOTc3MzM

EDIT: I do youtube, internet browsing, email, light gaming (Sims 3), video editing for youtube (iMovie/Final Cut Express), homework, watching dvds, windows 7 bootcamp

Will the Core 2 Duo processor still be good in about 5 years? Or do you think I should go out and buy a new Sandy Bridge i5 MBP?

Thanks for your help :)

Alex

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends what you do. For basic tasks, C2D is more than fine and should be in 5 years too. If you have a limited budget, then a refurb sounds like a good deal. I would get this instead though since the difference is negligible.

3. alexpotter thread starter macrumors newbie

alexpotter

Thanks for your reply. Would you notice the difference between 2.4 and 2.66 in normal use or would you notice it in iMovie or gaming? :)

Alex

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For video editing (even if it is light), I would go with the new Sandy Bridge MBP. The CPU is significantly faster and it plays a major role in video editing performance. If you have to go with a refurb, then I would get the 2.66GHz since it is only 50£ more.

5. alexpotter thread starter macrumors newbie

alexpotter

OK I'll probably go with the new 13" then. :apple:

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Good deal, you'll love the thing. But yea for most people, Core2Duos or i# processors (SandyBridge optional) will be great and fully functional within the following 5 years. YOu have to remember, these things are made to power the content that we put into them.

Right now, I don't see media (at least being played back on our laptops) needing to be over 1080p; personally I keep things at 720 as I can't justify the huge size difference between the two for the slightly better presentation.

If you dont' play games, you don't have to worry about a lot of things either; the internet itself isn't ever going to be that "advanced" that you'll need anything higher than a dual core processor to fully run; if you want to watch HD video, youtube, Facebook, and everything in between on the web, a dual core will suit you just fine.

I have an upgraded blackbook right now and I'm confident that it will be with me for many years to come.

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

8. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I would tend to agree as 5 years is a long time in the computer world. My white 20" iMac core duo 2.0ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb HD just turned 5 years old. I'm using it as a media server. I have a 2TB drive via firewire400 connected.

Only thing I can add is go with the highres display on the 15".

9. alexpotter thread starter macrumors newbie

alexpotter

Thanks for all of your replies. I was going to buy a 13" but then the 13" i5 refurbished model popped up in the refurbished store for £150 less - so I have ordered that and it will arrive soon... :) :apple: