refurbished MBP and new MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jackere, Nov 14, 2007.

1. jackere macrumors newbie

hi guys , I'm hesitant about buying a new MBP or the refurbished one. they have 300-bucks diff. so I'm wondering what is diff between these two exactly? could I please get help with this so that I can decide which is more worth buying!

thx!!!:eek:

2. David G. macrumors 65816

If the specs are the same the only two differences are the price you pay and the type of box it comes in.

3. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

If you're concerned about the cost, get the refurbished. It comes with the same 1 year warranty as a new MBP.

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Just got a refurbished 2.2 MBP and it was perfect. I prefer refurbs because chances are they have been looked at multiple times already, so I think that helps a bit too with the quality control of them, but I'm sure many people have had different experiences but that's just my 2 cents... sides, 300 bucks is nothing to scoff at.

:)

5. avincent52 macrumors regular

A caution about laptop refurbs.
    I bought an ibook back in the day. Generally a good machine, but the battery died in about a year. The replacement battery is still going strong even now, four years later.
    Not taking my own advice, I bought a 2.16 MBP refurb. Nice clean machine, but a problem with the Superdrive. It's been replaced with a new 2.2 machine (after much discussion with Apple) which, so far, is perfect (including the LCD screen, thank you)
    I also had a similar battery life problem with my ipod.
    That said, my refurb Imac has never given me a second of trouble and I didn't even get apple care for it.
    best
    Allen

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

avincent, are you saying we should or shouldn't buy a refurb? :)

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Go for the refurb - I've been buying 'em (both desktop and laptop) for years and have yet to have a problem of any sort. Funnily enough, the only Apple computer I've ever had fail on me was one of the few I've bought new.... go figure :p

8. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I'll be getting the ADC Student Discount just before I finish my Ph.D. After then, I will be buying refurbs due to the cost.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I bought a refurb 2.33 GHz MBP this past April. Thus far, zero problems, and no indications that there will be. Completely happy. If money is an issue, go for a refurb -- there are plenty of SR MBP's in the online store right now.