Refurbished MBP or New Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TexasFight1012, Aug 23, 2010.

1. TexasFight1012 macrumors newbie

2. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Pro, definitely pro. I personally don't really like the MacBook because of the casing. The aluminum just feels much better.. the best example is like when you hold an iPhone 3G and an iPhone 4. The build quality feels wayy better.

3. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

4. jimharris99 macrumors newbie

5. josh30 macrumors newbie

I'm getting ready to buy a 13" mbp as well - was excited to find that macconnection.com is selling the latest base model for $1049 after $100 mail-in rebate. Also, free shipping and NO tax for most states. Great deal.

6. Jumpin JW macrumors newbie

Refurbished warning!

I called the apple store to get it straight. Does the refurb have the same warranty, etc as a new one? The guy said yea, and pointed me to the rebate for a ipod touch ($200), and printer ($100). I found out today that the refurb does not qualify for the ipod rebate.:mad: Not only that, but they have no record of a salesperson, and say that my order must have been online! Not a good system.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refurbished products do not qualify for the rebates, because they're bought from the Refurb store, not the Education Store. Yes, they do have the same warranty as new Macs. There's no need for warnings. Refurbs are a good deal, and can only be purchased online. Refurbished Macs are not sold in stores.

From Back to School Terms & Conditions:
    From the $100 back on a printer promotion:

8. Jumpin JW macrumors newbie

Refurb rebates

I did not think refurb qualified for a rebate, but the saleman insisted otherwise. The fact is, an apple rep in the online store made the mistake, but I ended up losing $200. Happy with the computer, just be aware that if the rep tells you something, the CS will not rectify it.

9. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I got a brand new macbook pro 17" for $1400 from microcenter. If you have one near you, that is your best option.

10. TexasFight1012 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the computer that I ended up buying. I have had it for a week and I am thrilled. I've been on Windows for the last 15 years and I'm kicking myself for not switching sooner.

11. mrpuffy macrumors newbie

12. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I had to make this decision at the end of last month - went for the MBP! For slightly extra money, you get, in my personal opinion, is a far superior computer :D

13. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Awesome! I am loving mine as well.