Refurbished MBP question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Apr 29, 2017.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

for you guys who have ordered a refurbished MBP, and it arrived with some type of cosmetic damage like a scratch, did Apple offer you some type of additional discount to keep it, rather than go through the hassle of sending it back?

Just wondering

Thank you
    m

2. reserves macrumors member

They won't have cosmetic scratches, they are all checked and are as good as new.

3. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I bought my 2016 MBP refurbished and its flawless. looks brand new.

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I bought a couple of refurbished machines and all have been flawless. I'm sure there are exceptions. Do know that if you do need to return you can go directly to an Apple Store (if you have one nearby) as opposed to mailing it back. I haven't heard of Apple offering incentives to keep a flawed product. I know that Dell does this.

5. tow1 macrumors newbie

Same, bought mine 3 weeks ago and its like brand new except you dont have the original box

6. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Let me clarify. You do get a box, but instead of a box with a MBP picture on it you receive a box with the words Macbook Pro printed on it.

7. MrGuder macrumors 68020

It also has the words Refurbished printed on the box with a outline around those words toward the bottom. I've had several refurb models and all have been perfect, not a scratch or blemish, one wouldn't know unless the words on the box refurbished. I'm also using a refurb Time Capsule router with backup drive I got from the Apple store and it's been perfect since day 1.

I'm a big supporter of refurbished products, you save money and it's a like new product.

8. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

It's no different than if you got a brand new Apple product with a cosmetic defect. They will likely just tell you to return it for an exchange. However, the likelihood of you getting one with a defect is very slim. I got a refurbished 15" MBP toucher model last week direct from Apple & it is immaculate. Most other posters here who have ordered refurbished Apple products will tell you the same.

9. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

So I have 3 experiences with refurbished from Apple:
    1. iMac - looked brand new, not one scratch or any indication of use but it failed to boot when plugged in. It was a 2012 iMac and when I took it into the Apple Store they swapped it with the newly released (at the time) 2013 iMac at no charge. I was in and out in 10 minutes, still using it today - no regrets (other than wishing I went with SSD at the time) :)

2. iPod Touch - this actually was for someone else but no issues and arrived looking brand new

3. MacBook Pro Retina (2015) - Purchased the top end with DG in February this year, came in a nice sealed box, again looked brand new, battery cycle count was 1, benchmark scores surpassed the average for my particular model. No issues so far. Read/write of the flash storage seemed to surpass the tests I was seeing on youtube. Best mac I have owned.

Apple Refurbished Store service in my few experiences has been exceptionally fast as well, usually shipping same day and delivery within 2 days.

I would say go for it. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, you always have the 14 days to return it for any reason and refurbished have the same 1 year warranty + extendable AppleCare as new macs