Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

well2thebone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Looking at the new mbp, the pricing and specs make it a pretty lousy alternative to the retina mbp imo. It just doesn't make sense given i really want a ssd. But just glancing over the refurbished site, they have a 2.3 i7 w/ 128gb ssd w/ 4 gb ram for $1699. Just wondering if you guys would still pick a $2200 retina pro over that configuration.

I would be buying this mainly to use with digital performer, which from reading forums at motu nation, it doesn't seem that the retina display has any real impact on the program.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
If you dont want the screen of the rmbp get the classic for sure. And why not just get a refurb without an SSD and upgrade it with a better SSD and more ram for less than the retina?

well2thebone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Is it difficult to install a ssd on a laptop? I'v always been shy about those sorts of things. Also, based on the refurb site, the difference in price between the 500gb 5400rpm and the 128ssd is only $170. Still worth it?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Is it difficult to install a ssd on a laptop? I'v always been shy about those sorts of things. Also, based on the refurb site, the difference in price between the 500gb 5400rpm and the 128ssd is only $170. Still worth it?

yes its very easy and no its not worth $170. You can get a 256GB OCZ Vertex or Samsung 830 for $200.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

its extremely easy. many videos about it. if thats all the storage you need and thats the only difference, that would be reasonable I guess. you can get a very good 256gb and install it for that price though.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Looking at the new mbp, the pricing and specs make it a pretty lousy alternative to the retina mbp imo. It just doesn't make sense given i really want a ssd. But just glancing over the refurbished site, they have a 2.3 i7 w/ 128gb ssd w/ 4 gb ram for $1699. Just wondering if you guys would still pick a $2200 retina pro over that configuration.

I would be buying this mainly to use with digital performer, which from reading forums at motu nation, it doesn't seem that the retina display has any real impact on the program.

What does it feel like to pay $1,700 for a laptop that someone else returned as defective?

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
Right now if you get a late 2011 who says anyone has even owned it.... Apple could just be getting rid of old stock. My late 2011 was only about 2-3 weeks old when i received it, one week of that was transit. So obviously if it was purchased before someone brought it back the same day. The battery only has 1-2 cycles on it, and the external casing was perfect. My 2006 refurb black macbook that I upgraded from was about 12 months old (from coconut battery meter) and that too was in perfect condition, it still works today.

Silmarien

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Since this came up I have been wondering for quite some time. Since this cMBP is coming with the Apple SSD, would the power nap function work?

As for the OP question, I have the 2012 CMBP with the same configuration except for the SSD. I am very satisfied with it. I imagine how much better it would be with the SSD. I couldnt have gone for the Retina cause of money issues, but I love the fact that I can upgrade this any time I want. The Retina scares me a lot because of its "unupgradeability".

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
The problem with getting a retina version is that you will have to return it if it has an LG display. All LG displays eventually show image retention issues. There is a 3000+ messages thread on the apple support site with people with this issue. The Samsung displays don't exhibit this issue. Some people have had to return their rMBP 6 times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.