Refurbished MBP with third party SSD or keep waiting for the refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1881, Mar 11, 2010.

  1. 1881 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    #1
    Hi everyone
    I'm growing fed up of waiting for this never coming refresh of the MBP and started contemplating another option as I need an MBP now. So should I fold and get a refurbished MBP which I'll upgrade its HDD to a third party SSD or should I keep waiting untill the end of the month?

    Knowing that: option1 is $1999 + $650 + Taxes = $2913 and option2 (if Apple keeps the same current prices) is $2349 + Taxes = $2583 without the SSD.

    I think that it is highly unlikely (knowing Apple's tendancy to charge an arm and a leg for everything...) that SSD will be standard in the next MBP refresh.

    So basically would you a get a current MBP with a top of the line third party SSD or wait for possibly an i7 MBP with upgraded GPU but regular HDD?

    Your opinions on the matter are appreciated.
    Thank you.
     
  2. clops macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Location:
    Vienna, Austria
    #2
    Even if Apple offers MBPs with an SSD as a default option it, for sure, is not going to be a high-profile SSD.

    I am waiting for an MBP, which I will immediately upgrade with an Intel SSD at a local Apple Service Center.
     
  3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #3
    This is actually what I ended up doing... Got a refurb and put in an Intel SSD. I feel bad because I know that the prices of these are going to drop drastically when the refresh comes out but oh well. I needed the unit stat.


     
  4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

    Gabriel GR

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2009
    Location:
    Athens, Greece
    #4
    Do you really care about graphics? And does the current MBP lack something you're after? For what it's worth I think the current MBP is plenty fast for most tasks you would be doing on a notebook and I'd rather have a fast SSD and a lot of RAM than a newer system with a HDD and less ram.
     
  5. 1881 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    #5
    Yeah, they usually drop another $300 when the new ones come out.... But how would you rate your experience with the refurb+intel? Which refurb did u get if I may ask and what kind of apps do you run on your MBP?
    I personally need an SSD with more than 200GB so the intel X25 is not an option for me.... I'm leaning toward C300 OWC or Vertex LE. Top choice is probably the C300 due to the 256GB....
     
  6. Aboo macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #6
    I got the 2.8 17". It was about 2000. SSD was another 400. I use the system mostly for medical stuff and it has been fine. No complaints yet!
     
  7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

    spaceballl

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #7
    I think you should get a 3rd party SSD either way, regardless of whether you buy now or wait...

    I've got a G.Skill SSD right now in my MBP. I'm going to get the next MacBook refresh, but I'm definitely going to just get the stock drive and upgrade to a good SSD... er.. Dual SSD Raid 0 :D
     
  8. 1881 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    #8
    What SSDs are you considering? Will an SSD Raid 0 require you to lose the DVD burner using an Optibay?
     

Share This Page