Refurbished MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bangable, Jul 15, 2011.

1. bangable macrumors newbie

Hey,

anyone ever have problems buying a refurbished MBP?

Im thinking of picking one up? what difference does it make to buy a refurb than a BNIB.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Refurb computers generally means a second-hand-computer. IDK about other companies, but for Apple, they run through different tests on the computer to ensure that the computer doesn't have any serious defects. So, it's just been used, but almost in 'perfect' condition. I wouldn't worry too much about getting refurbs from Apple. However, if you are picking it up from other resellers, I wouldn't go for it.

4. jbjones85 macrumors member

Mine was in perfect condition just didn't have the fancy box, I didn't feel like the box was worth $300.

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I've had my refurb for 2 years. Never had a single problem. In fact, I'm looking to pick up another one here in the next few months. For the particular model I'm going to get, I'll save $300 - can't beat that

6. redcupr macrumors member

redcupr

If I have the option, I will forever buy refurb (unless I absolutely need the latest and greatest). My last refurb purchase was 15" MBP, retail price $2199, I paid $1449 (nice discount).

This was right after they released an updated MacBook Pro. A little digging reveal the machine I got was not refurb'd but brand new because Apple had moved all of their previous models to the refurb store. We bought my mom one at the same time, her's was new as well.

So, if you can wait for an update. Go to the refurb store right after the release and there's a good chance you'll get a virgin.

All that being stated, I would have no issue with receiving and actual 'refurb' machine.

7. antifeik macrumors regular

antifeik

how do you know you yours was brand new?

8. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

My MacBook Pro is a refurb. I've bought a few refurbished items from Apple and all have been in pristine condition, like new. I believe that on all Apple refurbs the insides are used but the aluminum/plastic shell is new. Is this correct?

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Mine is a refurb and I have no issues at all. Love mine!

10. badtzwang macrumors regular

What's the Return Policy on Refurbished products? Apple website doesn't really specify. Is it the same return policy on New Products? Also, would you be able to return a Refurbished Macbook Pro to a retail store?

11. antifeik macrumors regular

antifeik

yes, it's the same as the new ones,like 15 days to return,but since you bought it refurb on the website,you'll have to send it back,no,you can't return it to the store

12. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I believe they check the battery and replace the keyboard keys as well right?

13. DKTacts macrumors member

Any authorized refurbished MBP will come with the standard warranty as well, so you'll be protected should anything happen. :D

14. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

I never had problems with refurb products. I generally only buy refurbished macs. Because of the lower price. They're like new. And, by the way, it would be a shame for Apple if they weren't. A laptop in that price category should be as new even after a new boot ups or some usage.

15. bangable thread starter macrumors newbie

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I think they just come in brown boxes, not sure why that matters though?

17. bangable thread starter macrumors newbie

curious haha

18. redcupr macrumors member

redcupr

At first I looked at the battery cycles which equaled '2'. But, they may have replaced the battery when refurbed.

Checking the serial number on appleserialnumberinfo revealed a build date of June 2009, just a couple weeks before I ordered. Although refurbs do get a new serial number...hmmm....rethinking my 'new' comment now.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I am a big fan of refurbs. They have been individually tested and tried, any problems will have been remedied or replaced and they come with all of the warranties and guarantees of a brand new model.

Sometimes,they are new models which have been returned which have been replaced by others. Very often, the label refurb is attached to models which have just been superceded by a newer updated model. As they come with a considerable discount and enjoy all of the legal protection attached to new models, they are an excellent buy. Precisely because each model has been individually examined, problems with refurbs are rare.

Cheers

20. orangepeel macrumors member

My friend bought a refurb 15" macbook pro, it has some light scratching on the case and smudging/fingerprints on the screen. The smudging/fingerprints came right off with cleaning but the scratches on the case remained.

It's perfectly functional, but cosmetically it wasn't perfect. It's up to you if saving a couple hundred dollars is worth it.