Refurbished MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rm2092, Oct 17, 2008.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

I was thinking of ordering one but I have two concernes. One I know there returns but if I buy one will it look used or will it look new, don't want with any scrathes or a ding on the case also if that are returns from customers do they really go threw the intire machine for defects and not just rebox them up and re sell them, thanks

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

3. jTreu macrumors 6502

I'm typing on my new refurb I just got today, its the second refurb i've purchased from apple (this is replacing the black mb i bought last year) and both have been flawless. I got the 15" 2.5ghz MBP with 512mb of VRAM for $1499, amazing deal considering it was $2500 new a week ago. You literally cannot tell the difference between refurb and new besides the brown box.

4. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

refurbs can even be machines, somebody bought and returned without using because it wasnt to their specs they ordered!

5. tonie macrumors 6502

What carrier does Apple use to ship the refurbish or new laptops?

6. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I'd have to agree... Refurbs are the way to go! They are already "tested" and ready to roll... You can still get the Applecare coverage with them too.

7. kousuke18 macrumors regular

i want to buy the 2.5ghz refurb macbook pros but they sell out so fast...still hoping that apple will put more up soon.

8. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Mine shipped through fedex.

If you see a refurb that you'd like to buy, then jump on it! The $1349 last gen MBP 2.4 glossys sold out not even 24 hours after the 2.5s sold out!

9. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I think buying refurbs in general is great. They used Fed Ex with me.

However, at this point in time, watch out for the mbps with the 8600 nvidia gpus. They are known to fail. There is a class action lawsuit by their stockholders because nvidia hid it for so long. Apple has known since July. Apple's fix on this was to add another year to the warranty for this only, not to do a recall. So read the thread on the nvidia faulty cards before you buy from the refurb or clearance sites on Apple (or buy any machine with the 8600 card).

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ook_pros_affected_by_faulty_nvidia_chips.html

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=23121
    http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/15302

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree completely; refurbs are the way to go, especially as both design and machie are tested and it comes with the Apple warranty which can be upgraded to Applecare if that's what you want, and which will take care of any problems, or defects which may emerge.
    Cheers and good luck

11. rm2092 thread starter macrumors 6502

rm2092

I ended up buying one at Best Buy, they had a clearnce price on the MBP's and they were the same price as advertised on Apples clearance page. I bought the $1799.00 model, I'm happy so no hatters please like I got on my last post