Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
I couldn't resist the bargain and bought a refurbished Mini 2 for my son in the online Applestore. Noticed some slight yellowing at the bottom left corner. I know this was a common problem with the release of the rMini last year and actually had to change one myself last november to get a decent screen. The refurbished one was manufactured in july.

I wonder if my chances of getting a decent even white screen are better with a new one. Does anybody notice any screenissues on their recently purchased Mini 2? And do you think that screens on refurbished models in general are of lesser quality than on a new device?

----------

Forgot to mention: the screen of my 'old' rMini is also much brighter than that of the refurbished one.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I couldn't resist the bargain and bought a refurbished Mini 2 for my son in the online Applestore. Noticed some slight yellowing at the bottom left corner. I know this was a common problem with the release of the rMini last year and actually had to change one myself last november to get a decent screen. The refurbished one was manufactured in july.

I wonder if my chances of getting a decent even white screen are better with a new one. Does anybody notice any screenissues on their recently purchased Mini 2? And do you think that screens on refurbished models in general are of lesser quality than on a new device?

----------

Forgot to mention: the screen of my 'old' rMini is also much brighter than that of the refurbished one.

I went through 2 refurb iPad mini 2's that had exactly the same issue, both had horrible yellow tints - especially the bottom half. I ended up returning both and buying a new mini 3, which although wasn't perfect was much better than the mini 2's I had.

I think Apple had an issue in the early batches of the mini with retina display with yellow screens, and a lot of the refurb's now available on their store are these models. Certainly what I experienced anyway.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
Well I ended up returning two refurbs and a new one. All had the yellow tinted screen in the bottom left corner. The second new one was OK. Warmer screen than the other Mini 2 in our household, and way warmer than my 3, but even and acceptable. Kept that one. I'm certainly not looking forward upgrading the 3 next year and playing the screenlottery again:eek: Sure hope Apple gets a grip on it's QC or changes to oled!

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Well I ended up returning two refurbs and a new one. All had the yellow tinted screen in the bottom left corner. The second new one was OK. Warmer screen than the other Mini 2 in our household, and way warmer than my 3, but even and acceptable. Kept that one. I'm certainly not looking forward upgrading the 3 next year and playing the screenlottery again:eek: Sure hope Apple gets a grip on it's QC or changes to oled!

I ended up returning the mini 3 for another mini 3 as it still annoyed me, then replaced that with an Air 2!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My original Mini 2 was great, then I had it swapped at the genius bar because the dock stopped working intermittently. The replacement (a refurb) has a horrible screen, but I can't be bothered going through the loop of replacements.

It doesn't bother me too much unless it's next to my iPhone, then the difference is really bad.

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013

Apple apparently has a patent for their own OLED screen tech and really hope they start using it, I've been stuck on my Ipad 4 because I haven't been able to get a decent screen on any attempt at an upgrade. I can deal with a warm or cold screen but not with a half warm half cold screen.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The only consistent thing about iPad screens is the inconsistency. Don't fool yourself into thinking a later model or production date will change the inherent inconsistencies.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
To the OP, like you I recently purchased a refurbished iPad mini 2 from Apple mid-November. I have not experienced the issue that you or anyone else are describing in this thread. Yes the colors look less 'vibrant' (don't know if that is the right word) than my iPhone 5s like it's been reported with rMini having a poorer color gamut but nothing like having a yellow tint on any part of the screen.I did try out a MacBook air during the summer that it's display had a yellow hue on the screen when compared to my non-retina MacBook pro that was disgustingly noticible to me even though I am not a photographer of any kind so I don't have a trained eye towards color accuracy. I am personally very satisfied with the display on my device. Either I was very lucky or you guys have had rotten luck from thhe Apple store.

PS: Would like to add that I did also ordered an rMini 2 last year that had a display just like the one I currently have. Ended returning it due to that pesky bug in iOS 7 that would reboot the device. I had mine do it every single day. Had it exchanged under warranty only for the replacement to do so under four hours and decided that I was not gonna take it anymore for a device that cost me half a thousand dollars. Good thing I did because I managed to get a better deal this year by going refurb.

Last edited:

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
To the OP, like you I recently purchased a refurbished iPad mini 2 from Apple mid-November. I have not experienced the issue that you or anyone else are describing in this thread. Yes the colors look less 'vibrant' (don't know if that is the right word) than my iPhone 5s like it's been reported with rMini having a poorer color gamut but nothing like having a yellow tint on any part of the screen.I did try out a MacBook air during the summer that it's display had a yellow hue on the screen when compared to my non-retina MacBook pro that was disgustingly noticible to me even though I am not a photographer of any kind so I don't have a trained eye towards color accuracy. I am personally very satisfied with the display on my device. Either I was very lucky or you guys have had rotten luck from thhe Apple store.

PS: Would like to add that I did also ordered an rMini 2 last year that had a display just like the one I currently have. Ended returning it due to that pesky bug in iOS 7 that would reboot the device. I had mine do it every single day. Had it exchanged under warranty only for the replacement to do so under four hours and decided that I was not gonna take it anymore for a device that cost me half a thousand dollars. Good thing I did because I managed to get a better deal this year by going refurb.

Guess I was unlucky even though the tinted screens on the Mini 2 was a relatively widespread problem last year at release. I knew of the gamut issue beforehand and that doesn't bother me much. My 3 was perfect on the frist try, but had to change my Mini 2 from last year to get a decent screen. And this time I had to take back thee devices. So the curve is not going up. Since the screen on my 3 is really, really great, I'm dreading the day that I have to part with it.

Great to hear you were luckier than I was and got a good deal! Enjoy it!

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Guess I was unlucky even though the tinted screens on the Mini 2 was a relatively widespread problem last year at release. I knew of the gamut issue beforehand and that doesn't bother me much. My 3 was perfect on the frist try, but had to change my Mini 2 from last year to get a decent screen. And this time I had to take back thee devices. So the curve is not going up. Since the screen on my 3 is really, really great, I'm dreading the day that I have to part with it.

Great to hear you were luckier than I was and got a good deal! Enjoy it!

Thanks a lot. It really was a great deal for a 64GB Wi-Fi model. $250 off the regular price just when over a month ago for the iPad mini 2 this exact model would have cost new $599. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.