Refurbished no Mac OS X CD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smgkw, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Smgkw macrumors member

I got a refurbished mac, it did not come with an OS X cd. Last week the hard drive malfunctioned. The apple authorized reseller in my area (kuwait) was charging an outrageous price ($500), so I took it to another computer technician. He replaced the hard disk for $100 and put the malfunctioning one in an external case. Is there a way that I can replace my malfunctioned hard disk without losing the info on it (my apple care has less than a month left)? Also is there a site that I can downloads my Mac OS Cd or can it be shipped to me? If so who should I contact. Miraculously Apple Support site does not have a contact email for help or support except the itunes one. Thank all for your help :)

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

Only thing you can do, other then buying a full retail copy of Leopard from an apple store or a reseller, is call whoever sold you the refurb and ask for disks.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Is there an AppleCare number you can call? You will be able to get the discs for $15 US per disc.

4. Nobita macrumors 6502

If you can still access the disk, try using carbon copy cloner (google it) to clone your entire disk to your internal one. This will make your internal hard disk exactly the same as your old external one. Most of the case once a hard disk is gone, you can't access it though.

I think bugout is right, go the the reseller and ask for a disc. However it occurs to me that you are buying this online, correct? Call your apple care, I'm sure they have a number in their address.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you bought from the :apple: store, it should have all the software that is installed - where did you get it?

6. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Was it an official Apple certified "reconditioned product?" I bought a refurb from the Apple online store, and it came with everything a new one would come with, including a remote. Disks and all. Is there a phone number you can call for your AppleCare service? You should definitely call them and say you need disks, and also your HD should have been covered by AppleCare, as long as it was the one that came with your laptop.

7. hitman45400 macrumors regular

You are my hero.
    i have been looking for something like CCC for a longg time.

8. Nobita macrumors 6502

And the best thing is it's free =)

Try it, it will make an exact copy of your hard disk and you will be able to boot from your other hard drive.

P.S. It's funny how mac programs has such good names and windows programs has really weird, long, and descriptive names... (e.g. sumatra pdf reader"... )

9. Smgkw thread starter macrumors member

Well there is a call service where they call you but it doesnt extend to my region, I am in Kuwait, so I am looking for an email. But how can I get the disks for $15? or from where ?

My friend got it for me from the U.S. he threw away the box, i think the Cds might have been in it. I didnt ask him about it cus I just assumed the refurbs dont come with Cds.

10. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

A few things...; if your original hard drive crashed, or failed... it might be difficult, and expensive, to recover data on it. I'm not sure about trying to clone a "malfunctioned" hard disk, because if it's truly crashed, some parts of whatever you would clone would then be missing... or corrupted, etc.

Did the technician who installed your replacement hard drive also install OS X on it for you? Or are you sitting there with a MBP with a blank internal drive?

Finally, your original disk drive was covered under your AppleCare. If you don't actually have access to AppleCare service, even though your laptop is still covered for another month, then it wasn't really AppleCare, if you catch my drift. It was a waste of money. If, on the other hand, you were protected by AppleCare, and you actually had somewhere to seek warranty service (it was what was paid for with the AppleCare, BTW) then you could have used it to replace your original hard drive under the coverage. It won't cover a non-Apple installed HD, though. In order to benefit from what's left of your AppleCare coverage, it would certainly be worth the investment of a long-distance phone call to the US AppleCare support center. At least put them on the hook to give you some answers and to tell you where or how you can get your MBP repaired under AppleCare. You paid for it, you might as well get some use out of it...

BTW: Yes, Carbon Copy Cloner is a great program. I've used it to clone my internal drive to a new drive before swapping the drives. I also use CCC backup my current HD with an incremental backup bootable clone. Whenever I plug in the appropriate external drive, I have created a task that recognized that drive, and initiates an updated backup. I actually don't use Time Machine any more... I prefer the bootable backup clone, because if my HD fails, I can just toss the backup one into my MBP, and I'm good to go. Then, as soon as possible, I just clone that one to a new external... and keep going. No need to do any kind of "restore" function... but if I erase anything from my internal drive, I've set my backup to not erase data previously saved... so I can always go back and get files I may have accidently erased just like TM.

Anyway, good luck finding Apple service.

11. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

If it was from apple directly it most certainly came with everything a new computer would have, mac's aren't like cheap clone pc's, they come with full software discs always. Apple will sell you a set of DVD-R's of the missing discs I found out previously, after someone ruined mine from a previous MBP, though I didn't find out they were dvd-r's rather than a real replacement set till after I bought them ( I complained about this, and they refunded me, as I'd made sure to ask I was getting exactly what came with original machine ), but they're pricy, think they charged about £45, might be worth investigating other routes.

12. Smgkw thread starter macrumors member

The Technician put in his own CD or a cracked version I'm not sure. But 45 pounds, though pricy, its worth it. Where or who did u talk to to get the replacement DVD. Also wat do they need? just a serial number?

13. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I called up apple's support phone number, whatever it is from their support section on website, told them my discs had been snapped by someone's kids ( they had been ), serial no was required, but nothing else IIRC. To be honest though, knowing now that they only give you an officially labelled dvd-r set ( which wasn't actually terribly well burnt, poorish quality discs, the internal drive struggled with it, being a dual layer disc, though a usb dvd drive read it fine ), I'd be more inclined to find someone else with the same model as you and 'borrow' their discs, if you know what I mean.. a grey area perhaps, but by owning the computer you have a license to the version of the software it shipped with I'd say, so long as it's replaced with the same version of os x/ilife MBP discs as it came with I don't think there'd really be that much of an issue, though granted, getting them if you don't know anyone else with same generation of system might be hard without paying apples high fee for them.