Refurbished or eBay

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EBreakingWave, Jul 16, 2011.

1. EBreakingWave macrumors member

I want a iPad to take on holiday with me rather than my laptop. When I've taken my laptop it doesn't get used as much as it does when I'm at home. Mainly used for Facebook, emails and maps when I'm on holiday, so getting a iPad would be easier and lighter too.

I want a 3G iPad and I've seen a 16GB refurb 1st gen on Apple's store for £369. But I've looked on eBay and seen that I can get a 32GB or even a 64GB for almost the same price if not a bit cheaper.

I'm conflicted whether to get the refurb 16GB knowing that it has a full year warranty and can get an extra 1yr Apple Care on it OR get one that has more room incase I need it but run the risk on it not working as long.

Basically I'm only going to be using it for maybe movies and photos (RAW and jpegs) from a media standpoint. And use it for internet access.

Any advice? :)

2. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Get the unit from the Apple Store as you will get a full year warranty and it will look brand new as all the external parts are new. If you can afford it go with a new 16gb ipad 2 its lighter and faster, ebay is hit and miss and some times you get a unit that looks good at first but has problems afterwarm up and will probably have no warranty left.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't like to use eBay for anything that expensive so I'd reccomend the refurb from Apple. Plus you get a warranty that way.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

I also would recommend you buy a refurb from the Apple store even if it means less storage for the same price as peace of mind is more important. The refurbs from the Apple store look brand new and come with the same warranty. I think that's important with a product like the iPad.

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Refurbs from Apple look fantastic.

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Not just fantastic, they look new. Beware of ebay. It's a damned minefield.

7. baconroll macrumors member

I bought mine refurbished almost 2 weeks ago from Apple, 16GB for £289. It looks brand spanking new and I'm loving it. Great price, and the knowledge that I have a full year's guarantee. You can't go wrong.

8. B.A.T macrumors 6502

I bought a 1 gen refurb through At&T for $329. It came with a 90 day warranty, looks brand new and has been flawless for the three months I've had it. If you're in the states you can get a 32gb model for $429 right now, if not check the phone network that provides 3g service and see if they have any refurbs.

9. EBreakingWave thread starter macrumors member

Wow. Thanks all, seems like the official refurb is the way to go. Didn't realise until looking more into them that they're almost new machines :D

Just to clarify, the iPads are network unlocked aren't they? So I can pop an USA data sim in when I'm there in October.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The first Gen was, and I don't think they changed that in the second so yeah they are unlocked.

11. fedup flyer macrumors regular

People on Ebay pay stupid prices for certain electronics.
    I was shopping for an AppleTV (160gb HD) and people were paying on avg within $20 of what a refurbed one was from Apple. Not to mention the ones from FleaBay one more than 1 yr old, so no warranty.

Unless it a great deal, go refurb

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

The US AT&T as well as the UK ones not bought on a contract are. I suspect this applies to the rest of the world. The US Verizon ones do not use SIMs and in the UK those bought in Orange stores are apparently locked. If you get a refurb one from Apple it should be unlocked.