refurbished or new?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisgohcs, Dec 10, 2007.

1. chrisgohcs macrumors member

chrisgohcs

hi ppl

how do i differentiate betw a refurbished set and a new set?
    cos i went back to the shop for a one to one exchange due to cosmetic issue.im afraid they gave me a refurbished set instead. the airport connection isnt as good as the previous one with cosmetic issue. even though the router is located at the same place.

hence is there anyway to differentiate if its new or refurbished?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

usually there is no way to tell except for the box that the refurbs come in which is brown cardboard.

3. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

are they brown boxes or plain white ones? you know, just like how the refurbed iPhones come in.

4. Schnebar macrumors 6502

You could look at the manufactured date if it has one.

If it has a recent date then it is probably new.

After 2 faulty xbox 360s Microsoft finally sent us one that worked and I noticed that this one was made like a week before so I was happy.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The refurbs aren't necessarily the previous models. If I buy a brand new MB and return it tomorrow because I want an MBP, Apple can't sell that MB as brand new anymore, because it was opened, so it becomes "refurbished". Of course, a lot of refurbished computers actually have something wrong with them that gets fixed before they're put up again, but some are just returned, and marked as refurbed after a customary check-through.

6. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

My refurb'd Mini has a refurbished sticker on the bottom of the unit. Other than perhaps a greater chance of problems (hey--it's being sold as refurb'd for a reason), the only thing I noticed is that the box it came in was a fugbly brown. Not nearly the slick post-purchase experience that Apple provides to minimize Buyers remorse. Opening my new MBP was a verry pleasing experience.

My advice (which is worth the font it's set in): get Applecare.

7. chrisgohcs thread starter macrumors member

chrisgohcs

that means there is no way to check from the internal? only can check frm the box?

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

A refurbished model has a lower chance of failure than a new one, because it was actually double-checked prior to being released. Refurbishement doesn't mean releasing a bum product back into the wild, it means restoring a machine to factory spec and making sure it doesn't look likely to break down before putting it up for sale again. Compare this to the robot-checked floor models that people return (because no one checked them to begin with). So yeah - it doesn't have a greater chance of problems, but a lower chance than the "new" stuff.

9. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I know I'm being slightly superstitious in that claim--it's not the same as buying a floor/demo model, as you're not getting something with a lot of mileage or kick marks on the tires. On the other hand, the less they touch it, the less they can break it.

10. eman macrumors 6502a

If a macbooks is factory refurbished, the serial number will start with an "RE", this has been my experience. I would not buy a refurbished macbook, it still means its used, unless there is a significant reduction in price.

11. chrisgohcs thread starter macrumors member

chrisgohcs

how do you check for the macbook serial number from the laptop itself?

12. chrisgohcs thread starter macrumors member

chrisgohcs

how do you check for the macbook serial number from the laptop itself?

13. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Even with a brand new MacBook, someone has already touched it; albeit with latex gloves though. :D

14. Nakamura macrumors newbie

Isn't the serial on the box? Try putting "Serial Number" into Spotlight, I know that Dell Hardware serial numbers are accessible from inside the OS.

15. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

- Under the Mighty Blue Apple, select About This Mac
    - Click on the Version # until Serial Number XXXXXXXXXXX pops up
    - Bob's yer Uncle.

16. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Just checked the serial number of my refurb MacBook and this is not the case. I don't understand what some people have against refurbs. I've had my refurb iPod Photo for a year and it's still working fine. My refurb MacBook is only a few weeks old, but I still haven't had a single problem with it. In my own experience, Apple does a very good job as far as refurbished products go. Heck, my iPod Photo and MacBook even smelled new.

17. chris315 macrumors newbie

i bought a refurb macbook pro and it came in mint condition. The only problem I have had with it is that my battery health has suddenly dropped, which I will go to apple to get replaced. I have no trouble at all recommending a refurb.

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Dude, let them think refurbs are crap. Some people like paying more for exactly the same product. Let's not take that away from them :^)

19. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I bought a new Ipod last year and 3 months later I dropped it onto a table from about 6 inches up, sure enough the hard drive was toast. They gave me a refurb and I have had it for about a year now with zero problems and it has taken a ton of abuse. I am certainly buying a refurb macbook I would buy it if it was more expensive just because the problems have been identified and fixed.

20. iMan G5 macrumors member

Refurbished. You have a better chance of getting more goodies. IE a extra GB of ram, faster HD :)

21. coopermac macrumors member

So was the one you took back a new one or a refurb. If it was new and it was changed due to an accepted fault then you should have a new one to replace it.

I have a refurb MBP, it arrived in mint condtion and remains stable, no problems upgrading to Leopard either. The only way I can tell it is a refurb is that there is a sticker to say so in the battery compartment.

For me the saving over a new one when purchased was 30% (it is a CD not a C2D but it does all I want it to). If it's not for business use then take the saving, study the refurb store regularly until you find the bargain you want.

22. xxtee78xx macrumors newbie

I just received my refurb 2.2 SR MBP (latest model) for $1699. It arrived in like new conditon. Not one finger print or blemish. No yellowing on the screen. Temp is fine. So far, no big issues, except for the common bugs in Leopard.

23. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I as well purchased the same model and it's in perfect condition, couldn't ask for more. Saving a handful of cash while getting a top end Apple product, it doesn't get any better.

I always recommend Apple's refurbished products to anyone thinking about making their first or just another Apple purchase. For sure my vote will go for a refurbished model.

24. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Same here: I just purchased my MB Pro a week ago, and it's been a blessing to my work: No more Windows crashing, updating and restarting in the midst of Photoshop, etc.

When I was shopping around, the Genius at the Mac Store told me that I would be better off with a Refurb since the company goes over them with a finer tooth comb than the new ones. Albeit it's only been 5 days, but it's been running perfectly since I opened it.

Go with a refurbished model. You can't go wrong.

25. TheStu macrumors 65816

My mom got a refurbed blackbook after seeing how much my sisters and I enjoyed our Macs. She has had no problems with it that I can see.

Well... no hardware problems. She uses OS X wrong based on my personal opinions and viewpoints.... but that is neither here nor there