Refurbished or non-refurbished?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheJessTech, Aug 4, 2015.

1. TheJessTech macrumors newbie

TheJessTech

So I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro.. Are the refurbished Macs just as good quality as the non-refurbished? What's the difference? And should I just spend a little more money to get a brand new one?

Thanks

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The difference is well the box really. I've had several referbs over the years and honestly if it wasn't for the box you wouldn't know.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The only real difference is what's available refurbished in the first place. It takes a few months for newly-announced stuff to show up in there.

4. TheJessTech thread starter macrumors newbie

TheJessTech

Thanks for replying :) So do they replace the parts? And say if there was a scratch on it, would they fix that? Or would I basically get a second hand Mac?

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've seen some of the refurbished units from the Apple Store and, like the others have stated, they are pretty much like new.

However, I personally stay away from units refurbished by anyone else other than Apple themselves.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

From all reports they fix anything noticable and do a good selection of performance tests to make sure it is fine, you also get the same warranty options as a new machine. Could it have a couple of scuffs on the base?? Maybe but from all reports it's unlikely.

7. TheJessTech thread starter macrumors newbie

TheJessTech

Ok, thank you! :) Refurbished Mac it is!

8. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

Both my MM and TBD are refurbished stock from Apple. The MM manufactured date was within a month of my purchase.

Come trade-in time, you benefit from the same price as if was bought retail.

9. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

About 2 weeks ago I purchased from the Apple online store a refurbished base model 2015 13" MacBookPro retina with 256GB SSD. When it arrived I looked it over very carefully. It looked brand new. I also another 2015 13" rMBP my wife bought brand new. Can't tell the difference between the 2 computers.

It could have been a return by someone who changed their mind or repaired and replaced. The only real difference is the box it came in vs a brand new model. When you buy a refurbished model you still get a 14-day return policy and can return it for any reason including you changed your mind.

10. TheJessTech thread starter macrumors newbie

TheJessTech

So, if there was a slight scratch, I could just send it back and get all my money back? That's amazing

11. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You could but is it really worth the hassle? No matter HOW well you care for it, your Mac will eventually end up with more than a few "slight" scratches and the one that was on it when you got it won't even be noticeable.

12. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I always go for the refurbished directly from Apple unless it's something I'm getting at or near launch (Apple Watch or iPhone). Everything looks brand new, you still get AppleCare if you want it, and you get a great deal.

13. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Make sure you are happy with your order when you receive it. If you aren't happy with it just send it back. That is what I would do even if it had a scratch on it. You have 14 days to decide.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Only negative thing about the refurbs is most credit card extended warranties like those from VISA and AMEX will not give you the extra year of warranty on a refurb. I never buy them for that reason. May not be a concern for you though.

15. Taz Mangus, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I just looked at the terms of the AMEX extended warranty and it does not state anything about not covering a refurbished computer. I am on hold to verify with AMEX.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with AMEX. There are 2 programs that AMEX offers, the purchase protection and extended warranty protection. Under the terms of the purchase protection program refurbished computers are not covered. This AMEX program will cover the purchase for 90 days against accidental damage or theft.

The AMEX extended warranty coverage does cover a refurbished computer as long as it comes with a manufactures warranty. The AMEX warranty doubles the original manufacturers warranty up to a year. The good news is that if you purchase AppleCare then you will be covered an extra year after the AppleCare warranty expires. So, including AppleCare, this mean you will be covered for 4 years from the date of purchase if you purchase the computer with the AMEX card.

From the on-line description (https://web.aexp-static.com/us/cont...dfromCostcoandAmericanExpress/EW-DOC-CCSG.pdf):

16. joemac99, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

joemac99 macrumors newbie

17. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

I recently bought a 2015 Macbook Air refurb from Apple and it's a beautiful machine. I've got the same warranty as if I had bought anything "new' at the store, and can extend it as well. I figure there's as much as chance for anything to go wrong with this as with a made-to-order, and I have the same recourse.

I did have to wait a few months before the new product came into the store, but there are plenty of 2015s there now, it seems, at least for the Macbook Airs.

18. joemac99 macrumors newbie

Hi, Don't know if anybody can help me out with a questions . Whats the best to buy.

Hi, New to this site I am looking for some help . Looking to see whats better to buy off apples refub site .
    Thanks for any help

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    Originally released September 2013
    27-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1440 resolution
    8GB memory
    1TB hard drive1
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in FaceTime HD camera

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display
    Originally released October 2014
    27-inch (diagonal) Retina display with IPS technology; 5120‑by‑2880 resolution
    8GB memory
    1TB Fusion drive
    AMD Radeon R9 M290X graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in FaceTime HD camera

19. Gator1pk macrumors newbie

Gator1pk

20. TheJessTech thread starter macrumors newbie

TheJessTech

The second one is better than the first, are they a similar price though?

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for the info. I don't have AMEX myself, so was just going by what another member posted earlier here. I do use the VISA warranty though and it does exclude refurbs.

22. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    What ever it needs it gets, buy nothing BUT refurbished,since switching in 2007. Perfection in a plain Jane cardboard box,at 30% less,What's not to like,

23. aspoels macrumors newbie

If you get a refurb, make sure you are getting one from March 2015. honestly, I cannot tell the difference between reforms and non-refurbs. Apple puts a new screen, outer shell, and keyboard on them. They're as good as new.

24. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I certainly will buy a refurbished Mac computer again.

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I keep seeing this posted and have never seen a source for it. I don't mean to challenge you or call you out in any way, but do you have some source for the claim that Apple replaces all these components you mentioned? If someone returns their MacBook after ten days because they did not like it, why would Apple replace all the components you listed?

I would think they would reinstall the OS and run diagnostics and clean it up, then sell it as a refurb.