Refurbished or not??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tfward, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tfward macrumors member

I was thinking about picking up a Macbook and I considering a refurb. So my question has anyone on here had good or bad experiences with apple's refurb units and would anyone give me some insight as to wether I should go with the refurb or a new unit. Thanks in advance.

2. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I just ordered a white MB 2.2/1GB/120 for $999/Refurb. I've heard nothing but good things about the refurbs. You can't customize, but they have the kinks worked out of them, and they're a lot cheaper...

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I have two refurb products: a year old MBP and my AEBS, which arrived yesterday.

Both arrived in pristine condition. Aside from a wonky battery on the MBP (which was immediately replaced by Apple), no problems at all.

I recommend refurbs, and will buy more in the future.

4. dborja macrumors 6502a

I've bought two refurb MacBooks so far and they're great. You can't tell them from new because the shells are replaced and, as necessary, the screens. Some people also get a bonus extra RAM or bigger drives. The base warranty is for a full year and they're eligible for the AppleCare extended warranty. The only disadvantage is that you're not getting the current model unless you're buying at least 2-3 months into the current generation when some returns have been refurbished...

5. vader26 macrumors regular

I bought a first generation macbook pro refurb about a year and a half ago now and had some issues with it (case bulged on top of latch, random shutdowns, kernal panics). In the end they gave me a full refund, and I just bought new the latest version at the time. I don't believe with what i have read however, that this is common in Apples refurbs and i would not hesitate to purchase another when it suits my needs (especially after the great customer service i received with my faulty one).

6. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Go for refurb - they're just as good, and cheaper. What's not to love? :)

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've been buying refurbs for years. There is no downside unless you absolutely MUST have the latest and greatest. The only difference is that they come in a plain box rather than the fancy glossy version. Everything else is as new.

8. whynot83706 macrumors 6502

whynot83706

Do you still have 14 days to return refurb. system and receive full refund?

9. danny_w macrumors 601

I've bought 3 refurb products (iMac G5 17", black MB 2.0, iPod Shuffle 2G) and all have been pristine with no problems whatsoever. I think they are actually better than new, because they have been through more testing than a new unit. I would not hesitate to buy refurb whenever I get a chance.

10. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

This is good to know...

Does anyone have advice on how to deal with waiting for it to ship??? lol...:)

11. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

Keep refreshing the page every 10 minutes then mumble to yourself about how slow they are. It only gets worse when FedEx and UPS get ahold of it. :D